3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

startup (Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600)

Is there a way to edit Startup? (the Startup tab shown when running msconfig)? I can't find a file named startup*.* anywhere on drive C: and msconfig doesn't seem to allow ediiing of this

I have a utility file loaded using the wrong sub-dir...

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: startup (Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build

I think you'll find all that info is held in the registry.

What is causing / prompting the 'utility file' to load? You would be better off changing the source of the problem...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: startup (Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600)

AutoRuns for Windows v8.54 is a good utility for editing items that run at startup. In addition, I'd recommend MSConfig Cleanup to delete some of the orphaned/ duplicated items that tend to appear in MSConfig.

Alan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you're comfortable with REGEDIT, have a look at HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWIndowsCurrentVersionRun for the key/value which causes the load, and edit that. There's a slight possibility that it may be in the HKCU hive.

Alternatively it's probably a trek through the Startup directories for a shortcut/.LNK file. Try Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsStartup then Cocuments and Settings<youruserid>Start MenuProgramsStartup, right-click on the shortcut, choose Properties and edit the Target to suit.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I treat the System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) as a troubleshooting tool, and not as a startup manager. Thus it's good for temporary testing (and is around on most PC's), but not for permanent changes. Now, you want to edit an entry not remove, but just to show why it's a troubleshooter; if you uncheck an item on the startup tab, you will get a Selective startup (checked on General tab), then there will be a reminder dialog box on the following starts, you are not running Normal startup.

This has been mentioned at the Lounge several times:
    <!post=Re: XP Startup (SP1),321570>Re: XP Startup (SP1)<!/post>
    <!post=Re: AdAware,435168>Re: AdAware<!/post>
    <!post=The thread: Prevent msconfig launch at startup (XP),473110>The thread: Prevent msconfig launch at startup (XP)<!/post>
    <!post=Re: Programs in Start Up Menu (WinXP-HE),590437>Re: Programs in Start Up Menu (WinXP-HE)<!/post>

So, as Leif mentions, the source of the problem is the best start, i.e. if it's possible to change any startup behaviour within a program that's the first place to try.

What startup manager (if any) that people use may differ. I think that many here at the Lounge likes and uses the AutoRuns that Alan mentioned (it surely is the most thorough one), but there are also other, one even included in the Anti-Spyware program Spybot Search & Destroy (System Startup tool).

In a <!post=post some months ago,583945>post some months ago<!/post> I linked to mvp Ramesh Srinivasan's site about how to clean out old, previously, disabled startup entries. He links to the other tool Alan mention. He also has a short introduction to Windows startup: How to manage Windows startup?