Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Recent Files (all)

Overly large picture shrunk by HansV - please don't post pictures wider than 640 pixels.

Further to <post#=597,124>post 597,124</post#>
    My MRUse application has baulked at locating files on a client site. I explored the registry and found that the client's registry had no "recent File List" and no "recent Files".
    Puzzled, I explored my own system registry this morning (WinXP all updates)
    I can post my full VBA code if anyone is interested, but here is my discovery.

I see "recent file list" for excel & ppt but not for word.
    I see "recent files" for excel & ppt but not for word.
    I see some useful stuff in HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorerComDlg32OpenSaveMRUdoc

It is *as if* MSoft has dropped these two keys from Word's lexicon (see 20061216.JPG)

I am now modifying my code to include "OpenSaveMRU" in the serach for Most Recently Used files.
    It is a bonanza, of sorts, because I can group keys and broaden my MRU base:<pre>WORD doc, docs, dot, rtf
    EXCEL xla, xls
    NOTEPAD bas, bat, dir, cls, frm, txt, log
    PAINT bmp, gif, jpeg, jpg
    (SHELL) exe
    BROWSER htm, html
    AUDIO mp3, wav
    ACROBAT pdf
    ZIP zip
    PPT ppt, pps</pre>

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Recent Files (all)

The recently used files for Word are stored as Unicode strings within the Settings value in HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOfficen.0WordDat a where n is your version. This is a binary value, so it is not easily interpreted or parsed.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> n.0WordData
    Thanks for this, Hans.
    Maybe I was mistaken, but I could have sworn Word used to use recent file(s).
    I started off with just Word, collecting word's MRUlist from the registry.
    I certainly was doing that a year or two ago.
    Then I expanded to Excel & PowerPoint (and hence their recent file(s) items).
    I have not (yet) parsed any Binary data from registry keys, so now I'm wondering how I did get it all.

Anyway, the OpenSaveMRU seems more versatile than the recent file track.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> RecentFiles collection
    Maybe that's how I did it. I know that I added XL & PPT to MRUse about six months ago, but had been happily obtaining Word files prior to that.
    A thought: Maybe I am wrong. My MRUse stores a list of files in a data file; perhaps I'd never succesfully obtained genuine MRU items, but had been seeing only those items which I had secured by trapping the save(as) and close events. The two lists would be sufficiently close for me to be fooled (I am easily fooled!).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Word has always stored its recent files in the Settings value (OK, OK, in a binary file before the advent of the Registry, i.e. before Word 95).

You can, however, easily obtain the list of recent files using VBA using the RecentFiles collection: RecentFiles.Count is the number of recently used files (this is usually equal to RecentFiles.Maximum, unless you have reset the list), and RecentFiles(n) returns the name of the n-th recently used file.