Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Foward link from 'stale' posts

I have made a new post today <post:=620,636>post 620,636</post:> which refers back to earlier work on the subject in <post:=597,124>post 597,124</post:> some four months ago.

I have made a reference in my new post back to my old post, but can no longer edit my old post to point forwards to the new post.("This post can no longer be edited because the maximum edit time has expired")

Have we any mechanism for forward-linking to more current research?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Foward link from 'stale' posts

I have 'touched' your old post, you should be able to edit it again.

In general, updating old posts should be done very sparingly, in most cases it suffices to post a new reply in the thread. If you really think it necessary, send a PM to a moderator for the forum or to an Admin.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans.
    I daresay a danger (in editing stale posts) lies in losing attached files that might no longer be available on my system, and therefore can't be re-attached after I have edited the stale post.
    I use the lounge a great deal as a reference data base, and am always worried that I have located a post using old terminology when newer posts with newer buzz words are available (and are probably a better source of information).

As an aside, I started work at a new client this week, and was happily searching the Lounge as a visitor looking for techniques which are stored on my home office computer. TaDa! There was a post from some guy called Chris Greaves, with exactl;y what i wanted.
    You have to give before you get, eh?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is no need to re-attach a file when you edit an old post unless, of course, you want to replace the old attachment with a new, shiny and improved version. If you don't tick the check box "Delete Attachment", the existing attachment will be left untouched.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks