Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Logos in documents on websites

This is really a two-part problem.

We have a fair number of Word documents, one to ten pages in extent, simply text of variable typesize, whose file-sizes on disk are from about 20 KB to 80 KB.
    When we insert our new logo into them, the size-on-disk now increases to beyond a megabyte each!

Q1) Can we, instead of inserting the logo as a picture into each Word document, simply insert a link to the logo JPG, so that when the document is loaded into Word the logo will appear?

and

Q2) Can we then, without changing anything (much), obtain the same result when the document is loaded from a link on a web-page and the logo comes in from the .Images directory (and thus will live in the user's browser cache, one hopes)?

Alternatively, can someone suggest a neat way of dealing with the matter (yes, I have thought of making the logo smaller, but that doesn't really deal with the principle...!)

Thanks

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Logos in documents on websites

Quick one before I investigate, have you converted to PDF, that sometimes reduces file size?
    Jerry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, they go down to about 200 KB each, but of course each still contains its own copy of the logo...

Thanks

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

OK

Just ran up to my old desk to retrieve. This can be a real faff if you have a large amount of documents but my system has print receipts built into it which uses word.doc and word.html

What you could do is convert the documents to Word.html format and open in Notepad and look for the line that says

<v:imagedata src ="[path to image]" o: title="John's logo"/>

You could hold your logo in a sub-directory and change the above to

<v:imagedata src ="images/logo.gif" o: title="John's logo"/>

It will reduce the file size , just a lot of work initially.
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I doubt you'd want to refer to the user's cache - if the user downloads the document and clears the browser cache, the picture couldn't be displayed any more.

If you know the URL of the logo on the website, you can use an IncludePicture field. The field code could look like this:

{ INCLUDEPICTURE "http://wopr.com/lex/xmassprawl.gif" d }

The braces { } are field braces, you shouldn't type them yourself, but either press Ctrl+F9 to insert them, or use Insert | Field...
    The field switch d means that no copy of the picture is stored in the document.
    Of course, if the website is not available, or if the URL changes, you'll have a problem again.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Jerry:

You mean that you save the document as Web Page (*,htm; *,html) so that you end up with
    <document>.html
    and a directory
    <document>_files
    which contains (in my case) four files, one of which being the 1 MB logo?

Hans:

I wasn't going to refer to the cache personally; I had assumed that the browser would check the cache and already find the logo there on all accesses after the first!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> I wasn't going to refer to the cache personally

Yeah, but, no, but, yeah, but, what if the user clears the cache?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Yes but each time you save a document a new folder of images is created, being cunning you can have just one folder with the 4 images as you can recycle it.

If you are ging down this road and publishing on the web , I would take a serious rething of your graphic and use your curent for office templates and convert it to gif specifically for the web aspect.
    Jerry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If the user clears the cache, then the browser finds that the logo isn't there (any more), and reloads it like it was the first time round!

This would all be done without reference to anything I am trying to do... Put another way, I am not trying to second-guess what the browser actually does!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Jerry

This is all beginning to sound horribly messy, so I suspect I am going to have to go with your idea of turning the logo from a JPG to a GIF. I find that for this particular logo a JPG is between 5 and 7 times larger than the corresponding GIF. It will also be a good move to make a logo the correct size, rather than scale it down from something huge.

Thanks for your's and Hans' assistance in this iterative thought-process...

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

When a picture is inserted into a Word document, there is an option to either embed or link a picture. Insert Picture, From File, and there's options on the bottom RHS of the dialog box (Insert, Link to File, Insert and Link).

I seem to remember something about Word converting pictures to its own internal format- though that may not be the case.

Embedding is good if you are going to send a document to somebody else. Linking is good in a static environment- and, from painful experience, especially good for company logos which may change.

I seem to remember that the path is relative, so that it could be inserted form a sub directory, but you may have to experiment with that.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks

PNG generally preserves more colors than GIF with a similar compression ratio; maybe try both.

For best results in printing, use a 300 ppi image and, if necessary, use Word's Format>Picture... dialog to tweak it to the correct size.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for those further ideas - I've never used PNG, and it seems that I should take a look. The printing issue is no problems since the resolution of this 1 MB JPG is about 1400 x 1400!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If your final resolution is 1400 then you can afford to resample the image to something smaller (around 400dpi) without losing print quality. I would also suggest making sure the colour depth is as low as possible as this will have a favourable effect on the file size/print times too.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

For some odd reason the PNG comes out at 120 KB and the GIF at 23 KB!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast