Star Lounger
    Thanks

OL fails to restart (2003)

A client called with a strange OL issue. After booting his PC, he can open OL and work with it fine. If he closes OL then he can't start it again without rebooting. I tried a detect & repair, but it did not help. Here are some particulars:
    Windows XP-SP2, with current updates (Dec 06). Auto updates are turned on.
    Outlook version 11.1 bld 8010 (is this SP-1?)
    Has a blackberry desktop manager application
    He doesn't think any new software was installed when the problem started, which was a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like it started before the latest round of MS updates.

After rebooting, when he starts OL, he does get this message: "Outlook failed to start correctly last time. Starting Outlook in safe mode will help you correct or isolate a startup problem in order to successfully start the program. Some functionality may be disabled in this mode. Do you want to start Outlook in safe mode?" Of course, the KB is 100% vague on what might cause this.

Any ideas on how to fix or troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance!
    -Torry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OL fails to restart (2003)

You might check Help | About Microsoft Office Outlook..., and click Disabled Items... to see if an add-in or something else caused a problem. See You receive an "Outlook failed to start correctly last time" error message when you start Outlook.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I already checked that. There were no disabled items. Other than that, this KB article is pretty useless.

I'm thinking I should rebuild his user profile. Any suggestions before I do that?

Thanks,
    -Torry

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I found some good info at http://www.slipstick.com/index.htm regarding programs that might cause OL to continue running. The client did see the outlook.exe process still running in task manager, and closing it from there fixed the issue. The question now is what is causing the problem. I'm guessing it has to do with his blackberry, but can't find any specific info.