New Lounger
    Thanks

outlook deactivating links? (Outlook 2003)

why is it that when I merge a publisher file into outlook and send it, upon receiving the message, the links don't work? When the message is sitting in the outbox ready to be sent the links still work, however as soon as they are sent to the recipient, they stop working at some point along the way. They are still the blue underlined color like hyperlinks are, but its as if there is nothing there. Any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: outlook deactivating links? (Outlook 2003)

Do the recipients get a warning? If Outlook sees links as a phishing attempt, it'll block the links; in this case, there should be an info bar above the "From" address.

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 18-Dec-06 17:10. Attachment and Comments Added.)</P>Note: This message is a continuation from a thread on the Word board (Image Quality Loss When Using MS Word Mail Merge (MS Word 2003)).

The source of the newsletter is attached for perusal.

Added: The newsletter body seems to be one big image. Perhaps an image map which makes the links "live" is being lost in translation? The only one which seems to work is the "VA" Logo. If possible try doing the merge without VML (disable use of VML) and see whether that helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

When i check the box that says "rely on VML for displaying graphics in browser" the links work but the format goes hay-wire. When I send it that way to my Google and Yahoo test addresses the text is all over the place and when the message is recieved to my Outlook account, it is just a blank page.

Thanks

I think Word is just not giving you enough control over the code in your messages. I never use Word for this sort of thing, so I'm not sure what the next workaround might be. Perhaps we can get rid of Word?

If you export the newsletter to HTML from Publisher [e.g., to Cocuments and SettingsYourUsernameApplication DataMicrosoftStationery], does it function correctly in a browser?

If you then use the Publisher file as stationery in Outlook [e.g., Actions>New Mail Message Using>More Stationery...], and send it to yourself, does it work?

If so, then Word seems to be breaking it and ideally you could find a way to mass mail the newsletter internally to Outlook. If your merge is purely for the purpose of addressing and doesn't change the newsletter content, I'm sure it's possible.