New Lounger
    Thanks

disappearing colours

Has anyone had the problem on W2K Pro where the colour Red disappears from the colour palette? Basically all the other colours are still there, but red has gone. When you go to print, it still prints red, but does not display it on screen. Unfortunately this is my bosses home PC so I can't really tell if it's a monitor (flat screen tft) prob or a windows prob. I tend to err more toward the monitor but....... Any suggestions?

Cheers

Thanks

Re: disappearing colours

Are you saying there is no Red showing on the display at all? - i.e. it's not just in specific applications?
    What does it show as - shades of grey?
    Display settings - see what the colour is set to display at and try 256 colors.
    Plugging in another monitor would be the easiest way to check if it is the screen, otherwise it could be a corrupt driver.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (1.7 KB, 0 views)

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, red is missing from all applications/desktop icons, the whole lot. All the other colours are fine, bright and sharp. Do you think that is more a display driver prob? We have tried re-adjusting display to 256 and 16 colour and it still doesn't show. Unfortunately it's hard to give super accurate details when you can't actually see it yourself!

Thanks

I'm afraid the only thing that comes to mind is that tft's can be (are?) connected using analogue RGB (Red Green Blue).
    This would make sense in this case - sounds like you're missing the 'R' bit.
    So, my limited expertise in this field would suggest one of 3 things:
    1] The 'R' driver on the video card is duff
    2] The 'R' input circuit on the monitor is duff
    3] The connector is damaged or not properly inserted.
    Hopefully it is something as simple as the last.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I hope it's the latter one myself! Cheers for that, at least it gives me somthing to work on. If it aint the cable, I reckon I'll tell her to send it back to dell and get a new one!

ileacy

Suggest you try swapping the monitor to another system and swapping another monitor to the system. That should help you determine if the problem is monitor or system specific.

I agree with Lief, the most likely problem is loss of the red signal. I have also seen this with a loose connection inside the monitor. Sometimes just slapping the monitor around a bit will *temporarily* fix the problem.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Don't want to sound pessimistic, but the last time this happened to me the monitor had to be replaced. However, there is a long shot to try : right click an empty part of the desktop, and choose Properties. Click the Settings Tab and then Advanced. Examine the tabs at the top and there may be one named Color and/or Color Management. Try either of these to see if an adjutsment can be made. Note this may not be exactly as described for your particular graphics card.
    Rgds