3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

password recovery (xp - current)

I was checking this forum and noticed the thread on password recovery. Followed some of the links and the MSKB has an article about how to build a password recovery floppy. My new box does not have a floppy but does have a dvd burner and several thumb drives

Is there a way to build the recovery floppy on a thumb drive rather than a cd? CD's seem to be a real pain to mess with and a thumb drive would be a lot handier.

As an aside, I converted from win2000 pro to xp pro Under my old 2000 pro, I was forced to change logon passwords every 6 weeks or so. I installed xp pro in mid October and have never been prompted to change the logon password. Did I miss a setting - or is this the way xp pro works?

Tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: password recovery (xp - current)

Password change frequency is set in Group Policy Objects.
    Start > Run > GPEDIT.MSC to get this screen.

You can also determine whether password expiration applies on a per user basis by looking at their user account and setting the "Password Never Expires" flag.

StuartR

Thanks

That was interesting to read and see Stuart. I noticed that when i typed in GPEDIT.MSC in my PC (WinXPH) I got an error message that Windows cannot find GPEDIT.MSC. However when I typed it on my laptop (WinXPP) it showed it. I am still getting used to the differences in the two.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The Group Policy Editor isn't present in Windows XP Home Edition, as you have noticed.

Of course if one don't know if the OS edition is relevant to the question, one maybe don't mention it.

I think that every new post in the field "Version/Service Release" should include exactly that, version and SP level if known. "Windows XP" does not give all that much info. since the posts are all in the Windows XP forum.

Regards,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Windows XP Comparison Guide from Microsoft is an overview of the differences between XPH & XPP. For a higher level overview see Five editions of Windows XP compared.

Joe
    Joe