2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Force kernel to not page: always be resident? (XP SP2)

Is it possible to force the Kernel to be always resident: that is, to defeat the paging of Kernel code? I have gobs of physical memory, and it seems to me that not paging the Kernel might help performance.

Thanks
    Bob Chapman

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Force kernel to not page: always be resident? (XP SP2)

Yes, if you are willing to change a setting in the registry. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSe ssion ManagerMemory Management change the value in the REG_DWORD DisablePagingExecutive from 0 to 1. Re-boot.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Force kernel to not page: always be resident?

Bob

You have, of course, considered the idea that Microsoft's memory handler tries to optimise performance even if you have 1.0 gob of memory, and trying to second-guess it may not improve matters much?

It would be interesting to hear if you find it makes any noticeable difference...!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Force kernel to not page: always be resident?

Well, guys, I tried the suggestion, for which I thank you. However, it didn't seem to change Windows' operation at all! When I look at Windows Task Manager, it gives the Kernel size as 60 to 100 MB, 20MB resident, and the rest paged. In addition to not changing Windows' behavior, Windows was unhappy on boot-up, claiming it couldn't locate 4 modules.

In any case, I've retreated to what I had before trying this.

Bob