Thanks

Selective Program Installation

On my PC, I have two users. One is "John" which is password protected, and the other is "Everyone Else". I have certain programs that are installed that I want no one else to use, such as Windows Registry Repair Pro. In my Start Menu I created a folder called "Power Toys for Windows XP", and that is where I keep those type of programs. I noiced some time ago that that folder was also in the Start Menu for "Everyone Else" and this I definetly did not want. I just left it there because 1: it isnt very often that someone else uses this PC, and 2: I didnt know if it would be safe to delete it from that user start menu. This morning I decided to delete the "PowerToys for Windows XP" folder from the "Everyone Else" start menu. All of the programs that are in there seem to work Ok from my log in, but I am questoning myself on whether this was the correct way to do this or if there is a better way. When I install a new program that I dont want anyone else using, I always make sure to try and install it under my login, or if the option is there I check the "me only" box, and then move the program to the Power Toys folder. Is this the correct way of doing this or is there something else I need to consider or be doing to not really mess things up?

Happy Holidays!
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Selective Program Installation

If the option to install it only for you is present choose it. Then after the install you should be able to move any Start Menu items to whatever folder you wish. For 'Everyone Else', you should be able to delete the Start Menu folder entry for any program without an issue.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

As I understand it, the items in the Start menu are shortcuts to the program. So you can manipulate shortcuts with some amount of freedom and without too much concern. I've moved program shortcuts around without any adverse affects.

The main concern would be if any of the everyone else people were able to find where any of the programs, including the ones just for you, actually reside - ie, the folder under Program Files or wherever the installer puts it program. If you're really concerned about this, you might even want to create a separate folder for the installer to put your programs. That's for any future installs. You might not want to start dealing with already installed programs. That is, create a folder called something like "My private programs". When the installer asks you where to put the new program, if it does, point it to "My private programs".

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, you did not specify which version of Windows are you using. Because of it, some options may not be accessible.

In general, it is strongly recommended to restrict "Everyone Else" (usually "Guest") account to Users user group, and working account ("John") to Power Users (or Administrators if any installed program requires it) user group.

If you want to manage an access to specific program for any user or user group, from Windows Explorer (or My Computer) open folder where the executable file (.exe) for this program is, right-click such file and from pop-up menu choose Properties, then click Security tab. Select (click) user account or user groups you want to change permissions for and do so in Permissions window by checking/unchecking appropriate checkboxes. You must logon to account with Administrative rights to do it. This method is correct for Windows 2000 Workstation and Server, Server 2003 and Windows XP Professional. (For Windows XP "Simple file sharing" must be disabled.) I am not sure about Windows XP Home - maybe somebody else will know?

Thanks

Thanks Fred and kaplinb. I like Fred's idea of creating a new folder for the install, but see that I can actually use both ideas. The PC's that I am running and 1 laptop are all WinXPH, and 2 of the newer laptops are all WinXPP.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)