2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linux & Palm - happy together?

Does anyone know if there is software to synchronize an Outlook-like calendar/task PIM program with a Palm device under Linux? Windoze is starting to really annoy, but I use a PDA so sw that talks to a Sony Clie is a requirement before I switch.
    Also, what about Internet connectivity under DSL - do ISP's generally support connection with a Linux machine? (I know, I have to ask my provider).
    Lastly, any good Quicken/Money equivalents in Linux land?
    TIA
    Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linux & Palm - happy together?

Hello Mark,

I've not personally used any PDA with linux desktops, but I have seen various packages available. Most, if not all GUI distributions will install a PDA syncing package with their default desktop environment. You shouldn't have much of a hassle with that.

Not knowing the specifics of your DSL connection, your connection to the internet with a linux PC will range from the very easy, to various degrees of complexity. If you can't simply plug it in, then I'd suggest a modest purchase of a Cable / DSL router to handle the internet connection. The added benefit here, is a separate box will be handling your firewall, if you choose not to run one on the PC.

Your final question about Quicken or Money replacements. There are a few out there, and I've started to experiment with kmymoney. It appears to be full functioning for a home and / or small business. I just haven't done too much with it myself (yet).

Hope this helps you out.
    Christopher Baldrey

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Chris. I checked a little further and my DSL provides supports Windows and Macs. No mention made of LInux. Are you saying a route will supercede "normal" system requirements? Will it be transparent to the DSL what operating system is on the target PC?
    TIA
    Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

When the ISPs say they support Windows and Mac, they are the OSes they can help you setup / troubleshoot. Sure, they will tell you Linux will not work, but it really doesn't matter what OS you use.

The typical cable / DSL routers (and some ISP supplied modem and router combos I'm told) will happily sit between the outside world, and your computer(s) without a problem. In my experience, DSL connections require a login to occur via a specific setup of software or network connection inside WindowsXP. The login is usually an username / password combo (not for email, but could be the same information). The bigger name routers I've setup (D-link and Linksys) have setup screens within their software to configure such information.

I'd suggest starting with what is known as a LiveCD. <post:=578,758>post 578,758</post:> has various such CDs listed. I like to suggest the Ubuntu distributions.
    Christopher Baldrey