Thread: <BR> Tag

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New Tag?

So what does do, then?

As in ... <td width="55%"><p style="margin-top:0;"><span style="font-size:16px;">

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<BR> Tag

This is part of a thread in Lounge Matters, moved here by HansV because it developed into a discussion of HTML tags.

You say that, but isn't the official tag (for no reason that I can fathom!!)? That's certainly what is generated by Dreamweaver

John

PS Have you discovered the delights of Firefox 2.0's Tools -> Error Console yet?!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Jezza on 24-Dec-06 13:04. Changed tags as I had wrong syntax)</P>The correct format for a terminated empty element is to have the / symbol in the eg <hr/> and this did not exist in the transitional and loose DTD's for HTML 4.01. which allowed

With the introduction of (X)HTML the code writing aspect was tightened up and in loose and strict form it only allowed during validation, this was an important move with the heavier use of XML and it partner XSL (Extensible Stylesheet Language).

This is generally not important when creating web pages in 4.01 HTML but it will not allow the form of the element for validation. Therefore you have to choose your DTD and this will effect the formation and use of depregated tags. I have started to become a little less strict with myself depending on what I am designing but my site uses XHTML transitional as I teach this and want to show my students I practice what I preach. I also challenge myself to make websites without the as I use padding and margins as my design.
    Jerry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John

< br /> does exactly what does!

It is one of those hang overs from the early days of HTML of having terminated empty element and simply adds a single line break.

I have to assume that it is like this: to disassociated it from </BR> which makes it wrong.
    Jerry

Thanks

In XHTML, you cannot have an unclosed tag. Certain HTML tags do not have a closing tag, so you have to insert a slash before the closing > to make them valid XHTML. Unfortunately, some old browsers cannot handle this, so it has become conventional to add a space between the HTML tag name and the / (old browsers think the / is some strange attribute and simply ignore it).

Common examples:

<input type="text" name="MyField" value="Type Here Please" />