Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table of Contents disappears (Win XP SP2 Ofc 2003)

Dear Sirs,
    I have creating a song book with a TOC created for me by someone at the lounge. Working fine, except for occasional times when it says that Word has "insufficient memory" when I update the TOC with the macro I was given. (This is strange, because I have over 1GB of RAM). However, it updates it anyway, and I go on.
    But yesterday, when I updated via the toolbar button macro, I got a message saying something like "there are no TOC entries"! Talk about scary! I have put in 288 songs now, with another hundred or two to go. Fortunately, I save often, and simply closed without saving. But I am spending about 6 hours a day working on this, and it suddenly occurred to me that the TOC has a size limit.
    Am I safe to continue adding? Or what do I do to finish the book?
    Thank you very much for being there, everyone!
    Julia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table of Contents disappears (Win XP SP2 Ofc 2003)

Julia,

This kind of error can happen when you stumble across a bug where word stores something in memory and then forgets about it, eventually it runs out of memory to store things in.
    The best thing to do is to completely exit from Word every now and again, and then to start Word again and carry on editing.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table of Contents disappears (Win XP SP2 Ofc 2003)

Oh, Thank God! What a relief. Will do. Thanks so much, StuartR!
    Julia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC, Styles & AutoCorrect

Well, this looks like a total disaster. I had only been working with the song book file for a few minutes. The TOC is totally gone. Then I went into the next previous version to start again - all the song numbers are gone. The 'First Song Line' Style no longer has a number! I was also entering yet another 20 words into AutoCorrect that I had previously entered.
    The Styles are not available when I rename the file for date and Version #, to ensure that I don't lose anything. I backup every day to ensure I can go back, but Word keeps losing the Styles (or adding 5 or 10 more with the same name!). If I go back to the previous version, I lose at least 50 or more songs I have already input. Right now, there are 289 songs done, with another one or two hundred to go.
    I can't figure out how to copy the Styles created to be available to any document I want to use them with.
    I was hoping to use these Holidays to complete this book and now this! I just promised the group that I would have it finished in 2 weeks. Does anybody know how I make created Styles available in every document? How can I ensure that Word keeps my AutoCorrect Entries? I did 'Detect and Repair'; I have restarted; Now, Word has 'experienced an error' opening the document that lost the TOC! I simply can't understand some of the troubleshooting information I look up - it's like Greek!
    The Styles I was using in my Version 34 - doing just fine - are no longer available to put the song numbers back in.
    Does anyone know what I can do about these problems? I feel sorta frantic about this by now. Here we are in the Holidays and I'm not sure anyone will really be available to help me.
    In spite of everything, I wish everyone a happy holiday season - Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all! Please know that you are all very appreciated for the help you give - I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. Thanks for having this whole thing available!
    Thanks,
    Julia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC, Styles & AutoCorrect

<hr>I had only been working with the song book file for a few minutes. The TOC is totally gone. Then I went into the next previous version to start again - all the song numbers are gone. <hr>
    Did you follow my advice above and completely exit from Word in between these steps?
    <hr>Word keeps losing the Styles (or adding 5 or 10 more with the same name!). <hr>
    Try clearing the checkbox next to Tools > Options > Edit > Keep track of formatting

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, StuartR!
    Another person that doesn't pay attention to Holidays? Thanks for your response.
    Yes, I went totally out of Word. I actually restarted, and then retrieved the Version 35 from my yesterday's backup. The TOC is there with the numbers and page numbers, but the songs don't show the numbers assigned, and the 'First Song Line' style no longer has a number by it, or the detail that you originally created. I tried 'modify' (I had PrtScrn the orginal), but my PrtScrn cuts off the detail. But even after I modified it, the modification didn't appear - still no number, the detail that appears under the space that shows what it looks like showed no modification. That has happened before - I put in a new style, even, and it doesn't appear in the listing, nor is it available to the file that I 'Save As' file that I do in order to not lose what I have already done.
    Maybe I can copy the Styles from the file you sent me? But how do I do that?
    I did go in and uncheck the 'keep track of formatting'.
    OR, if I have to go back to use the file you sent me, how do I keep the TOC macro you made? Can I copy all the new songs I put in - there is a lot of them.
    Oh, also, I had printed out post #197827, about fixing behavioral problems in Word. I deleted all the .tmp files and renamed the normal.dot to normal.old; restarted and went back in - same thing. Or shall I retrieve the file again, or?
    Thank you,
    Julia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, StuartR,
    I just went back in and selected Version 34 again, after going back out of Word and in again. Now, Version 34 has both the numbers and the TOC and the styles, so somewhere, something is better. I renamed it to Version 36 and -wait a minute, I'll go back into Word again and see if Version 36 is okay - just a minute. Yes, the Styles, numbers and the TOC are there, still.
    Well, I'll continue entering more songs.
    However, I still need to know how to ensure that the Styles continue to be available for re-named files - that is not consistent. Or do you think that may also solve itself with going all the way out and deleting the tmp files and renaming the normal.dot file? I guess I'll find out today, huh?
    Thanks very much for your help, StuartR. I will be sure that I close Word after I do a 'save as' and go back in to start working again, and also close down Word occasionally as I am working.
    Regards to you and yours,
    Julia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC Runtime Error

Hi, StuartR,
    Well, I just put in one new song, saved, and pressed the TOC macro button. Got the message "Runtime Error. This method or property is not available because the object is empty" Now I remember that I have gotten that message at least 1 previous time. It eliminates the entire listing for the TOC. I still have the numbers on the songs, though, and the styles are still available.
    Did the Macro not come into the file properly? Is there a way I can bring it in to this file from the file you sent me with it originally?
    Thank you,
    Julia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC Runtime Error

I went into the macro you set up for me and printed it, then printed the macro as you originally sent it - they look the same to me. When I answered 'Debug' to the Runtime Error, it highlighted the line "ConvertToTable Separator...".
    I noticed just now that the bookmark you put in for the TOC is gone. Maybe I can go into another previous file, see exactly where it is and see if I can put it in again? Will that be possible without any entries to mark?
    Thank you,
    Julia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC Runtime Error

The bookmark that I created for you was just to show Word where to put the TOC.

If you create a bookmark called BhajanBookTOC in the correct place in the document, and make sure that the bookmarked range includes at least two blank lines, then the Macro should be able to recover your TOC for you.

To do this.

Create two blank lines in the correct place in the document.
    Select these two blank lines
    Click BookMark on the Insert Menu
    Put the name BhajanBookTOC in the dialog box
    Click the Add button.

regards,

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, StuartR,
    I went into the document and selected 2 lines. When I did Insert>Bookmark, the Bookmark name was there already, so I think I double-clicked it or clicked on 'Add', I don't remember. I didn't see the parenthesis signs I think I saw at one time. I did a Save and clicked on the TOC button you gave me. It said something wasn't in the 'collection', so I went back in; the Bookmark name wasn't there anymore, so I put in the name and clicked on 'Add'. Then clicked on the TOC button again. Same Runtime Error (#4605) - same msg as before - something about 'empty'.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thank you,
    Julia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The paranthesis signs will only be visible if you have selected Tools > Options > View > Bookmarks.

I cannot tell what the problem is from the rest of your description.
    Can you zip the file up and see if it is small enough to attach to a post here, and I will take a look.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, StuartR,
    I can see the bookmark now. I clicked on the TOC button again, but got the same error message.
    I zipped the file, but it's 188 kb. What do you suggest?
    Thank you, StuartR,
    Julia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Julia,

Can you delete most of the songs and post a shorter version of the book, so I can look to see what the problem is?

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, StuartR,
    I hesitated to do that because I was afraid it might be difficult to re-do it. But I need the TOC, so here you go! I want you to know how much I appreciate your help with this - I simply could not do this without you. As they say here in Costa Rica, "Muy amable" (You are very kind).
    Thank you,
    Julia
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast