Star Lounger
    Thanks

FireFox Update Problem (FireFox)

I've used FireFox for several with no problems, but I can't get the latest version to download and update properly. I get the same message over and over. It says that some files could not be updated. It tells me to make sure that I have everything else closed. (Closing everythning hasn't helped.) And it tells me that I may not have permission, but I do. I've never had this problem before and can't find any place to get tech support from Mozilla.

Any suggestions? I'd hate to give up FireFox. It would be a major loss.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: FireFox Update Problem (FireFox)

You are using an account with administrative rights to install aren't you? If you are using the integrated updater download the full install package from Firefox - Rediscover the Web. Then disconnect from the internet, shurdown all other applications, turn off your anti-virus and try to install. If all that fails try booting into safe mode - usually you hit F8 when the system is booting to get a boot menu. Boot into safe mode and try to install.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

More suggestions for you. You can get this message if Firefox does not close properly so the update can not be installed. Try closing Firefox then use the task manager to make sure that Firefox is not running in the background. If it is terminate it and restart Firefox to see if it completes the update.

If you decide to re-install Firefox it is best to uninstall it first and then make sure that the application directory is deleted, default location is C:Program FilesMozilla Firefox
    You will need to re-install any plugins if you do that. Uninstalling Firefox will not touch your profile data, so you will still have your bookmarks, passwords, extensions etc when you re-install Firefox. You can also back up your profile first (always a good idea)

Thanks

By the way, support also is available on this board: Firefox Support @ MozillaZine Forums.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Reva,

You could try closing down firefox as suggested above, then navigate to the firefox directory in program files (you are using windows...) and delete the Updates folder (it'll rebuild itself, honest).

This clears out any left behind gubbins from a failed update. Now restart Firefox and try an update.
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I'll try these suggestions.