2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What to back up? (Pro Ver 5.1 SP2)

I am a home user, running XP Pro. My currently available backup media are either CD or 1Gb/2Gb flash drives. Every time I do a backup, I have to guess all over again what needs backing up. I'm willing to download and reinstall programs in the event of a system demise, so really just want to back up what is unobtainable otherwise. Is there a list somewhere of what's advisable to back up that's outside of My Documents? I'd like to have all my Outlook data and Office settings and favorites, but I have trouble finding them all and thinking of what else I'd be sorry to lose. This was easier when I backed up to CD using Roxio and could just open the saved backup list. Is there a similar program for backing up to a flash drive? I know about the system backup utility, but I don't have room to let it back up everything, so I have to know what to select and where to find it all and how much will fit on the drive. Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: What to back up? (Pro Ver 5.1 SP2)

Wendy - this doesn't specifically answer your post, but it is something I do to minimize the problem.

I set up a specific folder that I call Download - I use it to stash anything I ever download - I set it as the target folder whenever I need to download something. Once the download is complete and I "Open" whatever install file is involved - the installation procedes normally - creating folders in "Program Files" or wherever. This keeps everything I have grabbed in one place.

Periodically I use an XCOPY with a blank /D switch - this only replaces newer items ( xcopy c:download f:download /D) to an external hard drive and keeps its version of download up to date.

Tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: What to back up? (Pro Ver 5.1 SP2)

As you have discovered, Windows makes it almost impossible to separate your data from the Operating System files. I have given up trying to find all the things that need to be backed up, and just do image backups, with daily differential backups, of everything.

StuartR