Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade versions? (Vista 'Gold')

I'm wondering if anyone can verify that the "upgrade" versions of Vista will work the same as previous Windows versions? More specifically, will it be possible to do a clean install with an upgrade version if you have a disc with a qualifying O/S on hand to insert into a removeable drive during the initial installation? The reason for asking is quite basic.... to save $$$$$$$.

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks

Re: Upgrade versions? (Vista 'Gold')

According to Paul Thurrott in this article , a clean install (with an upgrade version) is both possible and preferable.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Here's a related question.

Can you buy a new major-brand computer with NO operating system? Linux is big stuff, and certain among us have licenced access to operating systems that we don't want to pay double for.

On the other hand, if we take it as it comes we do have the benefit of bundled software, which can be invaluable, if only for the discount we get on the full version. The down side of that is that we're still paying double for the O/S.

Any advice or opinions? Say, from the Department of Justice?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John's linked article certainly does reiterate the point (suggestion) to do a clean install with a Vista Upgrade purchase, but I wonder how much experience Paul has, if any, with all the "flavors" or OEM supplied earlier versions of Windows? We can only hope that MS has done a good job in making Vista smart enough to recognize the OS content on some vendor supplied "re-install" CDs and whatever else they're called! In my case, I paid a few bucks extra to Dell to buy an OS CD and not a re-install disk. It looks OK to me but will Vista honor it? Obviously, I don't know the answer to that yet. My beta copy is dual booting from another drive and I plan to do that with the Gold version as well.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Q. Can you buy a new major-brand computer with NO operating system?
    A. I'm pretty sure that if you call a major OEM and insist on a 'naked' PC you can get one.

What the heck is the point with the rest? What is Linux comment about in a Vista thread? Are you saying you have access to a Linux distro? OK, great go for it if you wish. If you mean you have access to a Vista version great also.

Anything else related to software and cost is a decision you have to work out for yourself. If the pre-installed software is not necessarily what you want or use then it doesn't matter what the cost is. Since you give us no detail about the software you intend to run how can we even guess about a course of action?

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Yes have any version of Vista I want, thanks to a membership in Microsoft TechNet, and since the argument that it should be a clean install (or pre-installed) means I'll be paying for an extra operating system. I will almost certainly buy a computer as it comes, however, for the sake of the bundled software.

My decision to join was strategically timed, since this is the year that Microsoft has a lot of new software and membership gives me most of it and help to go with it. The opportunity came up at the right time, and I decided it was cost-effective.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The builds that I have installed, the "Upgrade" each took of 4 hours, but a clean install only took about 40 minutes. Several were NOT able to complete. But also note that more software and hardware that you have installed the longer it will take. By the way these installs were on a Sony VAIO laptop with out much software and external hardware.

About doing a clean install, the drivers will be "Generic" from Microsoft, but one should be able to start getting the newer ones from the different OEM's soon. That said, the older the system the longer it will be to get OEM drivers if at all. If buying a "naked" system, the OEM may not provide drivers.

I am still having issues with my computer and the use of a LCD projector and I am NOT alone on this one. The generic drivers seem to leave parts out, one time the projected screen was missing about 2.25 inches of laptop screen, with that the start button and menu was NOT projected. The next version I was missing the right side (most of the gadgets were missing) and about a half inch of the top and bottom, NO "Task Bar" being projected. Now as a work around, I found a driver that I can use, but it will be one or the other not both and the F Key toggle does not work.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

I remember reading an article recently about someone declining the EULA and then getting a rebate from Microsoft. You might want to search the web for details. I'd be prepared for a lengthy battle to get any $$$.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

By "declining the EULA "

But the installed copy will be in a 30 day mode. This can be done by "By passing" the entering of the key code, but thirty days later you will need to have a proper key code to continue using the OS.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.