Star Lounger
    Thanks

NTFS File Permissions (XP SP2)

Seasonal greetings all. I have searched in vein (through this forum and all the usual external sources) for a way to achieve the following but cannot find an answer. Is anyone able to explain, or provide a link that does, how to use NTFS File Permissions to disable local access to 2 non-OS partitions, at the root level, to a limited level account I have set up for my daughter. I would have thought it a simple and common requirement or have I overlooked a simple way to do this? Any help is appreciated and any links to some good, in depth articles describing NTFS File Permissions would be great. Note, I have googled myself to the eyeballs on this but have found nothing that clearly explained things to me. Most of what I found seemed to be more opinion based than explanation based. Thanks for your time - Michael

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: NTFS File Permissions (XP SP2)

You need to read some of the Windows Resource Kits. See Windows XP Professional Resource Kit - Table of Contents particularly Windows XP Resource Kit: Managing Files and Folders and Windows XP Resource Kit: Managing Authorization and Access Control. Also, see Windows 2000 Professional Resource Kit - Security. Just about everything mentioned in the Win2k 'stuff' is applicable to XP. This page Windows Deployment and Resource Kits has links to all the resource kits.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Greetings!

To make long story short, do the following:

1. Disable "Simple file sharing": logon to the account with Administrator rights, open My Computer (or Windows Explorer) and from Tools menu select Folder Options. (You can also open Folder Options from Control Panel). On Folder Optons dialog click View tab, scroll down Advanced settings window to the end and uncheck "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" checkbox. Click Apply, OK.

2. Set permissions to folders and/or drives. Make sure that your account has Administrator rights; open Windows Explorer (or My Computer), right-click the icon representing a folder or a drive you want to change permissions for, and from pop-up menu select Sharing and Security (or Properties). On Properties dialog, click Security tab and from "Group or user names" window select user group or user account you want to manage. Then in Permissions window make all choices (Allow or Deny checkboxes) you want. After you finish, click Apply and select next user account or user group, etc.

3. Manage user accounts (optional). Logon to the account with Administrator rights, click Start | Run, type
    control userpasswords2
    and hit Enter. User Accounts dialog will appear. Make sure that all accounts belongs to user groups you want to; if not, select an account in question and click Properties button. On the next window click Group Membership tab and make necessary changes.

For more information for these and other settings, see
    Windows XP Professional Product Documentation: Security and administration

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by StuartR to put <!t><!/t> before the link and <!t><!/t> after the link so it is active. See <!help=19>Help 19<!/help> for more info.

Thank you kindly Kaplinb and Joeperez for your replies. I'm happy to report that the situation is sorted out. In retrospect I think I just needed to see things explained in a couple of different ways to be able to make sense of it. I have to say that the further I dive (with help from people like yourselves) into XP Pro the more impressed I am. If it helps anyone else, an excellent 'overview' article I was also using can be found at http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharin...aring/index.htm
    While it did not directly address my specific need it may be enough for some users to work it all out. Personally, I required the bigger explanation. Many thanks again and have a happy and safe new year everyone - Michael.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Thanks for posting back and especially for adding the link to the article. That may help some lounger in the futute. Glad it is all working.

Joe
    Joe