Thread: Search Boolean

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Search Boolean

I can't find any reference to this, but I feel sure it must have been asked, so I'd appreciate any links:
    I'd like to make use of a simple Boolean search in a single forum. For example, my Word document text doesn't show, it is missing, or I've lost it somehow.
    In the Word forum I'd like to search for "missing text" or "lost text", which I'd write as<pre>(missing OR lost) AND text</pre>

I see that the search option AND is available, as is the OR, but can't find anything in the Help Files that suggests combining AND OR and possibly NOT.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Search Boolean

Going from long ago memory now, Chris, so please wait until one of the Admins confirms this. No, I don't think you can do "multiple" searches, of any kind, here in The Lounge. It's been a long time since I remember seeing it mentioned.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, that is not possible. The present simple search facility already puts a heavy burden on the Lounge server, and offering more advanced search capabilities might very well bring it to its knees.

Apart from that, it is not as easy as you might think to create an interface that provides advanced querying options AND is simple enough for everyone to use AND doesn't compromise security. Moreover, Claude's time is very limited.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Al and Hans.
    So it's a case of "heavy burden" AND NOT ("easy interface" OR "simple" OR "security") AND ANYWAY "lmited time"?

Got it! (grin!)

I was mainly puzzled that I couldn't find a reference to it.
    Oh well ...