2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Retrieving e-mails (Outlook 2002 SP2)

Hi,

I don't know if this is an Outlook questions or Windows question, but here goes. I'm about to do a clean install of Windows XP (SP2) and Office 2003 as my current machine setup (W2K SP4) was having more and more trouble booting up. Everything I have is already backed up, with the single exception of my Outlook e-mails.

Yesterday, the W2K finally gave up the ghost. Every time I try to boot it up, it gets as far as the Windows 2000 splash screen, and then just as it's about to go to the login screen, there's a blue screen for a split second (I could only make out the words "dump" and "corrupt") and then it reboots again. And again, and again...

I know the machine itself is fine, because it's set up to dual boot with Windows 98SE, and that works fine. I tried repairing the W2K partition with the 4 setup disks, and the emergency boot disk, but no luck. All I want are my e-mails and then I can reformat the disk anyway. (I'm going to get rid of both W2K and 98SE and just run an XP machine.)

Since the 98SE partition works fine, can I install my Outlook on that, and somehow access the e-mails on my Outlook that's on the W2K install? I just need to make a pst file of the e-mails and then I'm home free.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted!

Thanks,

John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Retrieving e-mails (Outlook 2002 SP2)

You should be able to see your PST file from your 98boot and copy it to the 98 partition. Then you can rebuild the 2K side and then copy the PST back to the 2K side.
    I have used a second boot partition as a backup for my PST files many times.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave,

Thanks - but the only problem is that my W2K died before I got to make a pst file to export all my e-mails and contacts (feel free to lecture me on the importance of making frequent pst backup files!). So while they are all there, they are not in a single file that I can grab via my 98 Boot. I need some way of getting to them so that I can export them to a pst file and then get started on my new installation. Can Outlook running on my 98 boot somehow access the e-mails and contacts on the W2K partition?

John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you saying that you can NOT see the files on your 2K partition using Windows Explorer (My Computer)?
    If this is true, you will NOT be able to see them from within Outlook installed on the 98 partition.

After rereading you last reply, what do you mean by "they are not in a single file that I can grab via my 98 Boot"?
    Are you using Outlook or Outlook Express?
    Outlook Express has multi files and Outlook has a single PST file, unless you are using the "Windows Address book" within Outlook.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi again,

Sorry - I'm not explaining myself clearly. Yes, I can see the D partition just fine from my Windows 98 boot (which is the C partition). I can access any files on the W2K partition. And I am using Outlook, not Outlook Express. What I meant to say is that normally, when I want to do a clean install, I export all my e-mails and contacts to a pst file. I haven't done that in some months, so I thought that the only pst file I would be able to grab would be my last exported version from July.

Are you saying that Outlook (in the home, not corporate installation) continuously maintains and updates a pst file? So if I check the D partition via Windows Explorer (from W98) that I'll see a pst file with a date stamp of the last time I downloaded e-mails, and that it will have my most recent stuff? If that's the case, then everything's great and I'm all set. (This never happened to me before, so the only pst files I've ever dealt with are the ones that I exported myself.)

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yes, Outlook maintains a PST file contains ALL of the Outlook data. It is normally at Cocuments and Settings"User Name"Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook Note, in your case it will be the "D" drive, and the above is for a XP system. I do NOT remember where the files were put on a 2K system.
    These files are also hidden, so one MUST turn on all hidden and system files in order to see them using Windows Explorer.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Terrific!

Thanks so much for your help - much appreciated.

John