Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

sharing styles (2002 and 2003)

This continues to haunt me. If one user has developed a number of styles (and autocorrect items) which are saved in her Normal template and now wishes to have others in the company access and use all of those styles and autocorrect settings, is there an easy and convenient process to make these available through the network in the office? Ideally, I guess I'd like Word to open a corporate-wide Normal (or specifically named) template that contains the styles (and, Autocorrect items as well).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: sharing styles (2002 and 2003)

There is no network equivalent of Normal.dot. You should develop company templates for different types of documents, such as letters, memos, etc. These templates can contain styles, autotext entries, macros, and menu and toolbar customizations appropriate to the specific document type. You can make these templates available in a shared network folder. If users point their workgroup templates path to this folder (either interactively through Tools | Options, File Locations or enforced by means of a group policy), they can use these templates to create new documents, just as if the templates were in their user templates folder.
    AutoCorrect entries are more complicates: unformatted entries are stored in .acl files, and formatted ones in Normal.dot (never in another template). See How can I import and export all my AutoCorrect entries, so they can be transferred to another machine?, and also What do Templates and Add-ins store? for more general info.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Is it recommended to use Support.dot rather than macros9.dot for Word 2002 and/or Word 2003?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I can tell, the macro for backing up AutoCorrect entries in Support.dot (in Word 2002/2003) is basically the same as the one in Macros8.dot and Macros9.dot (in Word 97/2000), so it'll probably fail in the same situations (I haven't actually tested this, though). So I'd recommend using the macro from AutoCorrect.dot from the link I posted.