3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bookmarks don't move during cut and paste (Word 2000 - 2007)

This is a known Microsoft bug in Word. If a word, sentence, paragraph, etc. has a bookmark assocated with it and if Track Changes if turned on, then the book mark does not move during a Cut and Paste operation. If Track Changes is turned off then the bookmark does move during a cut and paste. I looking for a way to catch an event such as for example "a cut event" where I can check to see if a bookmark exists in or next to a section of text that the bookmark is associated with and include the bookmark in the cut event. This event would only be handled if track changes is turned on.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bookmarks don't move during cut and paste (Word 2000 - 2007)

You already asked this (or something very similar) in <post:=586,311>post 586,311</post:> (the last thread in which you reacted to a reply) and <post:=609,122>post 609,122</post:>.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I know Hans I have posted such a question and I have tried jscher2000's suggestion without success so I thought I would repost with shorter version of my question hoping it was clearer.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In the future, it would be better to post a new reply in the existing thread (preferably with an explanation of what you tried and in what way it didn't do what you want) than to start three different threads with the same question.

I'm afraid I have no other suggestions than the ones from the previous threads.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

Thank you and I apologize for not following the practice you suggested and will in the future.
    Below is a simple example I tried in the past placed into a template in the thisdocument object:

Private Sub EditCut()

Dim str As String

str = Selection.Text

MsgBox (str)

End Sub

Private Sub EditPaste()

Dim str As String

str = Selection.Text

MsgBox (str)
    End Sub

These are never called and I also placed debug commands to confirm that these events are never hit. Even if they were working I am not sure how one would test to see if a bookmark existed before the selection since "selection.Bookmarks.Exists" is a test for a bookmark if it existed in the selection. If I can discover how to look for a bookmark before or after a selection then I can use one of mthe insert methods contained in selection.

Oh I am using Excel 2007 and wonder if there is some sort of macro security setting that is preventing the events from firing.

Thank you

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I wonder if your problem is something as simple as needing to define
    <code>Public Sub</code>
    rather than
    <code>Private Sub</code>

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The macros should not be in ThisDocument, but in a standard module, and they should be Public instead of Private.

You could use code like this:

Public Sub EditCut()
    Dim rng As Range
    Set rng = Selection.Range
    rng.MoveStart Count:=-1
    rng.MoveEnd
    If rng.Bookmarks.Count > 0 Then
    MsgBox "Bookmark alert!"
    End If
    End Sub

Warning: keep in mind that EditCut and EditPaste replace the built-in commands, so you must execute the commands (Selection.Cut, Selection.Paste) within the macro, otherwise nothing will happen.

PS I don't have Word (or Excel) 2007 yet, so I cannot help you with issues that are specific to this new version.