2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to open Excel files from Shared Folder

At work, we have a Folder located on a desktop computer that houses several files including a few excel spreadsheets that are updated daily with assignment statistics. Recently (read today), I encounter an error when trying to open the file from a shortcut I created on my desktop. The error read "WD-(server name) could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct." However, I can view the file in the shared folder. When I view the folder containing the Excel file, I can double click the file to open it and again receive the same message. I do not get this error with the other file types and am able to navigate the other folders in the shared folder.

What is odd, however, is that I can copy the file to my desktop and view it without a problem. I can also delete or replace the file, but I can not open it from its location in the shared folder. There is another employee in the office that can open the file without any issues, but another that experiences the same error.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to open Excel files from Shared Folder

Can you open the file from within Excel (using File | Open)?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to open Excel files from Shared Folder

Lacking a reply to my previous question, try the following:

1) Quit all instances of Excel.
    Select Start | Run...
    Type excel /regserver and press Enter

If that doesn't help:

2) Make a copy of the workbook within the shared folder and rename the copy to (for example) a.xls
    Try to open this copy by double-clicking it.

If that doesn't help either: see the following MSKB articles:

You receive a "File Not Found" error message in Excel when you open a file by double-clicking the file name
    OFF2000: "'Server' Could Not Be Found" Error Message When You Click Hyperlink
    XL2000: "Check the Spelling of the File" Error Message When You Open File with a Name That Contains Unicode Characters