5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Closing Excel (97)

Hello,

I'm not very familiar with Excel and I'm wondering if it is normal for it to always pop up a save dialogue box when closing it? This is happening even when I close a file without making any changes to it. Is this because I'm using Excel from Office 97 on Windows XP. Is there anyway to get it to behave like most of my other applications and only pop up a save dialogue box when there is actually something new to save.

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Closing Excel (97)

It depends. If you have a formula that is automatically recalculated each time you open the workbook, such as =TODAY(), the workbook will be seen as modified even if you didn't change anything yourself, so you'll be prompted to save it when you close it.
    You shouldn't get the prompt in a workbook with static data only.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, that's exactly the problem - I have a formula using today()! Actually this works differently from how I expected. Here is my formula for C2:

=IF(COUNTBLANK($D2)>0,"",TEXT(TODAY(),"dd-mm-yy"))

I thought this would create the date once, when text is first entered, but it is updating the date every day. Is there anyway to have excel automatically create the date and then "freeze it" , only updating the date again if the data in D2 is changed? Or is there a quick way to add today's date into a cell manually. I'm finding I know much less about Excel than I thought I did, that's what comes for not using it much. I hope you can give me one or two pointers.

Best wishes,

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The keyboard shortcut to add Today's date is Ctrl+;
    Ctrl+Shift+; or Ctrl + : will give you the current time

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I didn't know about these shortcuts. Is there any way to customize them? Currently for date I get:

04/01/2007

I'd prefer either

04-01-2007 or 04 Jan 2007

The slashes are not clear for my eyes.

Best wishes,

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I know, Excel uses the "Short Date" format set in the Regional Settings control panel in Windows. So if you want a different format, set that as Short Date format.

Alternatively, you can create a macro that inserts the date and formats it the way you want. You can assign this macro to a keyboard shortcut and/or custom toolbar button. For example:
    <code>
    Sub InsertDate()
    With ActiveCell
    .Formula = Date
    .NumberFormat = "dd mmm yyyy"
    End With
    End Sub
    </code>
    See Legare Coleman's <!post=Personal.xls Tutorial (All),118382>Personal.xls Tutorial (All)<!/post> if you want to know how to make a macro available in all workbooks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks Hans, I changed my short date format and the keyboard shortcut works for me now.

I have one or two files with macros and when I open them a warning message pops up. I don't suppose there's a way to create a list of trusted files so that this message is not activated if the file has a macro? I'm loathe to turn the warning off but it's a nuisance for files containing macros one has made one's self.

Best wishes,

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In more recent versions of Office, you can spedify that all installed templates and add-ins are to be trusted, and you can also sign macros with a digital signature (certificate) and you only need to tell Office once that you trust that signature. Office 97 doesn't have these options, if I remember correctly.