Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word Wrap (Word 2003)

How do you turn word wrap off when you are typing a document? (No graphics, just text.) I want to hit enter at the end of my line instead of the line wrapping by itself.

Thanks

Re: Word Wrap (Word 2003)

I don't think you can turn off word wrap in Word. Why do you want to break the lines by hand as you type? If you intend to copy the text to another program or system that requires lines of a certain length, you could use Word as designed until you have finished your editing, and then break the lines at that point (either by hand or using a macro).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Believe it or not, there are still those who would like to be able to control their line breaks manually. Some believe it is easier to proof read their text if it looks exactly like the copy they are typing from.

Thanks

I can understand that. Adjusting the font face and size, and using margin adjustments, hopefully will address most cases in which lines need to match up with the originals.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is a Word setting that may give you what you want, though its effectiveness will probably depend on your window size and zoom setting in Word.

The setting - In Word XP - is the "Wrap to window" option in "Tools | Options | View | Outline and Normal Options" (it seems more effective with the Normal view).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As Jefferson wrote, you can't turn off word wrap in Word. If you really need to, you can use Notepad as editor.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I would recommend using a font size/page width that allows even the longest required line to fit and then using a Shift-Enter to move to a new line and Enter to move to a new paragraph. This allows the document to determine correctly when the next line is in the same paragraph and your document formatting will be considerably simpler.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia