3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Email wandering (Mozilla 1.7.12)

Am trying to solve a problem on a buddy's computer. He is running XP (SP2) and uses Mozilla as default browser and Email client. The appropriate box in Preferences has been checked. We have REMOVED all traces we can find of Outlook and Outlook Express via Control Panel and ADD/REMOVE.
    Somehow or other some of his mail is still winding up in an Outlook folder.

HOW can we eliminate ALL connections to Outlook and Express?

Thank you mucho!.

Thanks

Re: Email wandering (Mozilla 1.7.12)

Usually Windows obeys the setting in the Internet Options. Using either IE (Tools>Internet Options...) or the Control Panel (Internet Options), Programs tab, make sure Email is set to Mozilla. Sometimes it helps to set it to another program, OK that, then reopen the dialog and set it back.

If Windows does not obey, then you'll need to get more details about when/why mail goes anywhere but Mozilla. For example, is it clicking mailto links? Receiving from certain accounts? When other programs automate Outlook in the background??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm a little confused by your post in that if you've "removed all traces" then how in the world is email ending up in an Outlook folder? Furthermore, how to you know that? What is the folder's name and the file name(s) therein?

The only reason I ask is to tell you a little story about a recent experience I had. My Office is pretty old (Office 2000) and I've NEVER used Outlook or Express for that matter since I've had this computer. I recently had to run Outlook in order to answer a question for someone locally about how to use "bcc" in emailing. After going through the mandatory initial screens, I too was CAREFUL to tell Outlook NOT to be my default email. However, after I got finished with my test, even though Outlook was NOT running, I was notified that I had new mail in Outlook! What the....? Evidently, even though Outlook was not running, it was "dutifully" checking the email on my server every ten minutes and downloading it! I had to RUN Outlook, go into the settings and tell it to NEVER check email and since that time, the problem has stopped. Confused but...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

With XP you should be able to go to Start | Set Program Access and Defaults or Control Panel | Add remove Programs | Set Program Access and Defaults to manage your default e-mail (& other) program.

Joe
    Joe