3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Local Server Issues

If pointing me to a website or previously posted message answers these questions, please point my nose in that direction.

1. What issues and concerns - especially security and firewalling - should one have who runs sweb erver software (Apache) on their home PC? What steps should one take to address those issues?

2. Can someone tell me how to test and use a home PC web server (especially how to change file permissions using WIndows or Windows-based tools)?

TIA

Thanks

Re: Local Server Issues

Do you want to prevent all external access, or allow some controlled access?

If you want to prevent external access, use your computer's software firewall, and/or your router's firewall, to block incoming connections to any ports opened by your web server. These commonly include port 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS). Probably this already is blocked and you don't need to do anything new.

On the other hand, if you plan to allow others to access your web server, someone familiar with Apache should chime in on how to configure its security.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the responses, guys! I do NOT want to allow access to the server; my only purpose in having one is to be able to test scripts and code before loading them to my shared host server.

Joe, that link wouldn't load. Can you give me the url?

Thanks again!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The link worked for me...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

If you have a status bar turned on you should see the underlying URL when you hover on the link. If you are still having problems try Welcome! - The Apache Software Foundation then click on HTTP server (on the left) and then on Version 2.2 under Documentation.

Joe
    Joe