Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE Favorites won't open (7.0.5730.11)

The Favorites menu in IE 7 is intermittently refusing to open. The problem started a few days ago.

Background: I have several top-level folders in Favorites. Two are IE/Thinkpad defaults and one contains my shortcuts. I just checked for updates to IE 7 and none are available. I'm on XP 5.1 SP 2. Plenty of free disk space and RAM. Recently defragmented disk, up-to-date anti-virus, and several spyware scanners running. I don't think I've added any new software since at least a week before the problem started.

Problem: When I click Favorites in IE, I see all of of my top-level Favorites folders, and can see the shortcuts in the two default folders. The shorcuts in the default folders work fine. When I click the main folder (the one I created), nothing happens -- I don't see any of the subfolders or the links that live in the top folder. It's as if the folder is empty. I'm able to add new shortcuts to that folder, and can see all of the subfolders during that process. I can use my favorites from the View/Explorer Bar/Favorites menu. If I open a new tab in IE, the favorites work fine in that tab, at least for a while. But I can't make them work in the old tab.

Any ideas?

Robert

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: IE Favorites won't open (7.0.5730.11)

I noticed that same behavior when I was accessing Favorites using the Menu Bar as far back as IE7 Beta 2. I never did find a resolution. However, since then I've gotten a different PC , started using the Favorites Center, and I've not noticed that behavior.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Do these folder contain a LOT of entries?
    I have found that the ones with lots of entries including buried sub folders take longer to open.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

I'm not sure what would constitute "a lot." I have 75 2nd-level folders -- I don't know how many 3rd level folders there are. I think the tree is 4 levels deep, but perhaps more. When I click Add to Favorites, the list of folders pages down for 6 screens, and about 60 folders fit in each screen-full.

However, the folders open instantly under normal circumstances. I just tried opening them on an IE tab that's not working and after a minute they still hadn't opened.

Robert