Star Lounger
    Thanks

Creating virtual 'Index cards' (2003)

I'm writing a book and -- as a relative newbie to Word -- I'm not sure how best to create the computerized version of index cards. Years ago, I used traditional index cards. At the top was a subject heading. That was followed by a quote, or a factoid, and, finally, a concluding line with the source (e.g., title, date, publisher, page).

Then, I used WordPerfect to create a computerized version, a file called

Thanks

Re: Creating virtual 'Index cards' (2003)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 04-Jan-07 16:00. )</P>If the amount you are pasting is of modest quantity, you could use a table. In the left column, your subject line, in the right column, your content. You then could sort the table alphabetically by subject when required. You also could add a third column for source, but then probably you would want to orient your page in Landscape mode so the columns don't become too cramped. It won't look like cards, but...

To avoid carrying over strange HTML formatting into your Word document, use Edit>Paste Special..., Unformatted text. I use Word macro assigned to Ctrl+Shift+v to do this quickly:

<code>Sub PasteSpecialUnformatted()
    Selection.PasteSpecial DataType:=wdPasteText, Placement:=wdInLine
    End Sub</code>

Hope this helps.

Added: If you're new to Word, perhaps you haven't written a macro before. This post might help: Creating your first Macro in Word.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, this IS a big help. Certainly a step up from my old system. Someone suggested I use Excel. Any thoughts on which would be better -- tables in Word or a spreadsheet in Excel?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Although an Excel spreadsheet would probably work as well, I'd stick with Word for this task, since it's mostly text-oriented. Excel is not as good as Word at wrapping text across multiple lines.