Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to connect with 1 specific site.

Not sure where to post this so please point me to a better forum if necessary.

Problem

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to connect with 1 specific site.

Gosh,

This is going to be tricky!

Are you able to connect to other https:// sites and navigate around them?

What model is the "front end 4 port router"? Could you - for a very temporary experiment - connect one of the PCs to your incoming connection without using this router at all?

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I can get to the sites with no problem via my NetGear Router and I am able to Tracert to it. I reckon you should take on Stuart's idea and connect to the incoming connection and then work backwards.

Which router is 10.5.36.1 ?
    Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks

First I

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your next steps will depend on how important it is to connect to this particular site, how much risk you are prepared to take, and how much you are prepared to spend.

You could try:
    <UL><LI>Go through every screen on the router configuration looking for something that is set to an unusual value
    <LI>Write down all the configuration parameters for the BEFSR41, then do a hard factory reset and finally restore the configuration settings
    <LI>Give up trying to access that site, and leave your network completely alone as it works for every other site
    <LI>Buy a completely different Router to use instead of the Linksys BEFSR41[/list]Each of these carries some level of cost/time/risk so it will be up to you.

StuartR

Thanks

Rob,
    I suspect that you probably need to check what, if any, port forwarding has been allowed on the 8 port router that has not been on the 4 port one. Alternatively, if the router has a firewall on it, you need to look at the rules set up on that.
    It appears from Googling that model, that the router includes a modem, so can you try it without the separate DSL modem involved?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks

Rob,
    Something similar happened to me as well with my LinkSys Router, although the site was wopr.com that I could not access. After much consternation and with the help of LinkSys I did a hard reset on the router and all was well, until they told me I needed to upgrade the firmware, but that is another story. Try the hard reset and see if that helps.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Lounger
    Thanks

Before going to all that expense try adding the site to your safe list under internet options. Many banks in the last few months have had to change their security methods and part of this includes how the site recognizes your computer. You never said what browser your using, at least I missed it if you did, but IE 6. XXX or 7.XXX may block your getting to this site. Go to your start menu, control panel, internet properties, security tab, then trusted sites, there is a button called sites which will let you add the whole addy (HTTP/XXX).
    I would suggest trying that before buying new equipment. You also should be able to add a trusted site on the Linksys router without opening yourself up to any other danger.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Don't forget that this same PC can connect to the site if the Linksys router isn't in between.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Crikey. A hard reset did not change the symptoms at all. Then I switched the BEFSR41 with another BEFSR41 that I got from my brother. This one contained a later firmware release. Surprise #1 - I was able to connect to the problem Wachovia site. Surprise #2 - I was NOT able to connect to www.wopr.com (I am posting this update from home - sound familiar, John?).

I called LinkSys to ask what was going on. They told me I needed to do some "port tuning". I am supposed to contact the owners of the web sites that I have trouble connecting with and ask them what port they use. Then I'm supposed to enter that port number in the Forwarding / Triggering port table.

Rory, I did indeed have some port forwarding in the 8 port router that was not in the 4 port one (left over from an old attempt to use LapLinkGold) - but removing the old entries did not change my symptoms.
    The router does not act as DSL modem, but must be connected to a Cable or DSL modem via the WAN port. This router does not have firewall software that allows me to specify www.xxxxxx.com as 'safe' - it only uses NAT and port inspections for firewall functionality.

Now I need to google this Port Tuning concept.... sounds like bad science to me.

Thanks again for your ideas and help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

At this stage I would start looking for a simpler router that was easier to configure and use!

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Surprise #2 - I was NOT able to connect to www.wopr.com <hr>
    See the thread here: <post:=624,919>post 624,919</post:>

Thanks

Sure does Rob. Linksys had me do a firmware upgrade too, and it took care of my router permanently if you know what I mean! Was time to upgrade anyway to G
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem solved... for now!

After spending too much time trying to learn more about this port tuning concept, I decided to change the hardware again. This time I got hold of a LinkSys WRT54G router (like the BEFSR41 with wireless). I installed this in place of the BEFSR41 and all the sites I have tested with work OK.

Thanks again for the insight and ideas. I hope this thread is useful for the next weird "can't connect problem".

Enjoy!

On reflection this 'event' seems out of whack. Can't connect to one web site... solution: Get a different router! Out of whack!

Realizing I was just plain lucky in that I didn't have to go shopping and pay for a new router, I wondered what would one do if one weren't quite as lucky? Well, there's always the wopr of all help (thanks again to all that chipped in - I feel like I let you down a little because I never really 'fixed' the problem)... Anyway, I found a KB article that might help one actually 'fix' this silly problem. Be aware... it is 11 pages, broken into 4 sections, 17 parts, and whole bunch of steps. So, if you can't (or just plain refuse to) throw new hardware at such a relatively silly problem, get a pot of coffee and <!mskb=326155>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 326155<!/mskb> for "Page Cannot Be Displayed". I know "can't connect" may differ from "Page cannot be displayed", but I figure it's more similar than dissimilar. So let us know how far you got into it before it fixed your particular problem (or if none of these ideas helped).

Thanks again, folks, and Enjoy!

Edited by BigAlDoc to make the KB link live.