ellisbill

Pictures From AOL

I use Outlook as my email client. When I am communicating with others using either Outlook or Outlook Express, I have no problem seeing pictures embedded in received email messages.
    However, I have a friend who uses AOL. When I receive an email with an embedded picture from her, I get the text OK but instead of the picture I get the message; "[Unable to display image]".
    My friend can see the picture both prior to sending and in copies sent to herself.
    Has anyone got an explanation for this?
    Is there anything we can do about it?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pictures From AOL

Check Out Microsoft's Knowledgebase Article ID: Q274291

Basically, AOL uses a proprietary e-mail system and unfortunately I believe a proprietary image format. Ask the person to send you the pictures as attachments with a plain text message.

FWIW, I don't like the proprietary things that Netscape, Internet Explorer, and AOL do.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

most likely they are sending with the aol image format (*.art) Newer versions of IE can read them (might need a plugin from windowsupdate) but outlook can't. If the image can be saved from the message, try it in IE.

ellisbill

Thanks,
    Suspicions confirmed! Let's hear it for standards.

ellisbill

Thanks MJ,
    I have no record of or access to the embedded image. It doesn't show up as an attachment nor as an object in the message.
    I can live with advising my friends to send me images as attachments only if they are AOL subscribers.