4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing a fax driver's modem (XP SR1)

I recently replaced a dead modem. I am having trouble configuring a fax driver for the new one.

I could not find a way to reconfigure the existing fax driver to use the new modem, so I thought I would delete it and define a new one. Apparently that was the wrong thing to do. In the "Printers and Faxes" window, the status of the old fax driver changed from "Ready" to "Deleting," and stuck there. Several boots later, it still says "Deleting." The right-click "Install a Local Fax Printer" command does nothing, presumably because it needs resources that will not be available until the old driver is done deleting. Deadlock.

Now what? And please, what is the right way to perform this operation in the first place?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing a fax driver's modem (XP SR1)

Now what?

1. Power off your computer and remove new modem you installed (or disconnect external modem).
    2. Boot your computer into Safe Mode (How?)
    3. Open Device Manager (click Start | Run, type DEVMGMT.MSC and hit Enter), expand Modems branch and uninstall all modems listed (select modem and from Actions menu choose Uninstall).
    4. Power off your computer
    5. Insert/connect a new modem
    6. Boot your computer into Normal mode
    7. Follow Install New Hardware wizard (started automatically or from Control Panel).

What is the right way to perform this operation in the first place?

My Post: 582,747

----------Later Addition---------------------------------------------

I hope you did not damage your Fax Services. If you did, reinstall them from Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > "Add/Remove Windows Components" button on the left pane > select "Fax Services" from the Components list > Click Next and follow the wizard.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the instructions. It may not be that simple, though.

I removed the new modem and rebooted in safe mode. I was unable to delete the old modem with Device Manager because it was not there -- the entire "Modem" branch was missing, which I assume is normal for a system that has no modem and knows it.

When I rebooted in normal mode, the "Printers and Faxes" applet still listed the "Fax" driver as "Deleting." In other words, nothing appears to have changed.

If you say this is okay, I will go ahead and put the new modem back in. If there's a problem, though, I hope you can help me catch it now. I've got a splint on one finger, and I expect to have a difficult time getting the modem back in. I'd rather avoid taking it out and putting it in a second time if I can!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Try right clicking My Computer and selecting Manage. Then click the '+' sign next to Service and Applications. Then Select 'Services'. Look for a FAX service. If it is running right click it and select stop. Then see if your 'delete' clears up. If there is no fax service look for the 'Print Spooler' service and stop it. Check to see if your 'Deleting...' is cleared up. Restart the service(s) that were stopped. If that does not work in 'normal' mode try it in safe mode.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In normal mode, the Fax service is not running but the Print Spooler service is. When I stop Print Spooler, the Fax device goes away -- along with all the other printer drivers. When I start Print Spooler again they all come back, with Fax still "Deleting."

In safe mode none of the printer drivers appear because the Print Spooler service is not running, and cannot be started.

This approach does not appear to be working. I think I need to find another one.

I'm thinking I should restore the system to a point before I first installed the new modem. I haven't done a system restore before, so I'll welcome your advice on that.

In particular, what should I do next after the restore? So far I have a suggestion to delete the old modem driver before I install the new modem, but given the way things have been going, I'm not entirely confident that that will help. Referring to my prior experience with USB devices (the old modem was one), I suspect that Windows deleted the old modem driver the first time I started the system after the modem broke, leaving me nothing to do that's different from what I have already done.

Administrator
    Thanks

First, Windows did not delete the old modem just because it was not there. USB devices are treated differently as Windows knows they may not be present. So they are just hidden if they aren't present. Second, when you stop the Print Spooler service you probably need to use Windows Explorer and very carefully examine the files under c:windowssystem32spoolprinters. If you can clearly identify those assoicated with the fax device move them somewhere else. That should clear the spooler.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The files in the C:WindowsSystem32spoolPRINTERS are:

00033.SHD
    00033.SPL
    FP00001.SHD
    FP00001.SPL

There are no hidden files in the directory. I turned off the Print Spooler service and used ATTRIB *.* to check.

None of the names are informative, nor are the Properties lists. The names seem to suggest pairs of files for two devices, which doesn't make much sense, because my system has five printers defined, counting the fax device. Four files for four devices doesn't make sense either, unless I assume that for some reason the fax device doesn't have one (or the "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer," whatever that is, doesn't have one).

It's not clear to me how to take this line of inquiry further. However, I'll mention one thing I learned: the status of "Deleting" for the fax driver appears to refer to a document that was spooled to the fax driver, not to the driver itself. Perhaps if I could force that document to be deleted, I could then delete the driver. The fax console's Out box claims to be empty, so I can't do it there.

Thank you for telling me about how Windows hides USB devices; that is a significant fact that was never revealed to me during my inconclusive discussions with Microsoft MVPs about this issue. But as a point of information, it appears that in some cases USB driver files actually are deleted. I know this because I have a USB sound device which forces me to dig out the installation CD again every time I reattach it. (In consequence of which I always leave the device attached, even though I almost never use it.)

Administrator
    Thanks

Just move those four files to another folder. They are all print spool files. See Alphabetic File Extension List for more information.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, I misunderstood -- I thought they represented the drivers themselves, rather than the spooled files. It became clear when I looked again after printing the contents of my regular printer's queue and found only two of the files remaining.

I stopped the Print Spool service, moved the two remaining files, and restarted the service. Unfortunately, that did not seem to help. The Fax still says its queue contains one document, and the status is "Deleting." When I try to open the fax device I now get a message that says, "Operation could not be completed. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server. For more information, click Help." When I try to delete the Fax driver I get a similar message. Help displays a "Printing Troubleshooter" which offers to identify the causes of nine different problems, but none of them appear to be relevant, and when I let the troubleshooter run it didn't tell me anything useful.

Administrator
    Thanks

If there are no files left I'm at a loss as to why the status is still deleting. Have you tried a simple re-boot with no files in the spool folder?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

> Have you tried a simple re-boot with no files in the spool folder?

I did, and it didn't help, but after that I figured out how to solve the problem.

I used the "Add/Delete Windows Components" wizard to delete Windows Fax Service, then add it back.

I had to work my way through some of the usual Microsoft installer nonsense. It asked me to insert the Windows Service Pack 1 CD-ROM, and I wasted some time looking for it before I remembered that SP1 was incorporated in my Windows XP distribution. I put in the distribution DVD and the installer was happy with that, although I had to tell it where to look for a couple of files that it couldn't find.

The Fax Service configuration went smoothly, and the results look fine. I won't have a chance to try sending a fax until tomorrow, but I think everything is going to work properly.

Thank you for your repeated assistance. Although I ultimately figured out the problem myself, I don't think I would have been able to do so without the influx of fresh ideas you gave me. If I were on my own I would probably still be stuck where I was a week ago.

Administrator
    Thanks

You're quite welcome. Just happy that you've got it worked out. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe