Thread: Desktop Blank

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop Blank

Over the weekend I was here adding a new domain controller to my network and performing in-place upgrades to my existing DC (both OS and Exchange). A couple of times I came over to my desk from the server room and used my own computer to test logging into the network, opening Outlook, and testing email flow. Today is first day of business after the changes and everything is running very smoothly, except my computer has a blank desktop. If I go into Windows Explorer and look in my Desktop folder all the shortcuts are there. They're just not showing up on the screen. Also I can't right click on the desktop to bring up the popup window. I emptied my temporary internet files, local temp folder and ran disk cleanup to see if any of that and rebooting would resolve but none of those things worked. My guess is maybe the Active Desktop was corrupted some how? I can get to the Display settings through Control Panel. I turned off the Active Desktop and rebooted, but that didn't fix it. This also happens if I log into the computer as the local administrator.

Any guesses hat might have caused this? Or how I can fix it?
    Daisy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Desktop Blank

Nope. The explorer.exe process was there in the Task Manager rather than missing per the KB article. Opening Explorer also didn't bring them back. I also following the directions for renaming the shdocvw.dll and rebooting. That didn't do it either.
    Daisy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I should also note that if I go to Themes and select a theme, the wallpaper for that theme does show up on the desktop. But if I go to Control Panel>Display>Background and select a background image and say Ok to the popup that says I must have Active Desktop turned on, that wallpaper doesn't show up on the desktop. Odd.
    Daisy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Something must have corrupted the GPO during the server work. I created a group policy to disable the "Hide and disable all items on the desktop" and now I'm back to normal. Very odd behavior, though.
    Daisy

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Different file formats. BMP images are displayed natively, JPG and other formats are rendered using the IE engine. But it sounds like you're back to normal now.
    -Mark