4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copy utility (Windows XP Home)

I keep several thousand photos filed in directories, with the following heirarchy for the sub-directories

Decade Year Month Day & Subject

I also keep a separate backup copy of each image on a separate disk filed

Decade Year Month

Both copies are created automatically by the software I used to download from my camera.

As I have time however I then delete many of the poorer images, and work on many others, and I would like a simple way to update my backup software. I do have Nero Backit up and the windows Backup utility, but all my other admin tasks are undertaken by a series of batch files as I like the control that gives me.

I'd like to fine a simple windows or DoS utility that would let me copy all files (or all that match a wildcard template) in a directory and its subfolders and puts them all into a single directory. I have tried a Google search, but there were so many results to wade through I gave up. Has anyone any experience of something like this please.

Thanks

Colin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Copy utility (Windows XP Home)

Have you looked at Microsoft Windows XP - Xcopy? You should be able to construct a simple batch file to do what you want.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

You might also look at Microsoft SyncToy
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

There seems to me to be two parts to your BATch file problem:
    1. <LI>determining the (variable) directory and subdirectory names at the time<LI>performing the copying of the files from each directory in turn to the single target directory
    For the former I would investigate the results of using FOR /R (have a look at the help info from FOR /?); for the latter, any command-line copy utility you like would do - COPY, XCOPY, ROBOCOPY, XXCOPY, etc.

I'm sure you'd like to have a go at it yourself, but if you don't, give me some example directory and filenames, and I'll take a look...

As a start see what you get from
    for /r "c:some directory name" %%a in (*.txt) do echo "%%a"
    in a BATch file, and when you're happy with the results then change the ECHO to COPY and add a test target directory path to the end of the command to do the actual copying. Obviously you will need to consider the possibility of duplicate filenames, etc.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

I was going to fall back on xcopy, but I just wanted to save the time if someone had already produced a single command that would have done the trick.

I'll play with all of these tonight when I have time.

Thanks.