2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Screen sharpness (IE7)

In a moment of weakness (!) I let Automatic Updates install IE7 on my home PC.

To be fair, this seemed fairly straightforward, and I have not had any problems running the new browser......

.....except.....

.......that the screeen sharpness when browsing has changed, and all websites appear slightly blurred (in a way they never did before).

The blurring does not seem to affect other applications.

I have a vague recollection of one image-related question during the installation process - perhaps "Would you like IE to automatically optimise your screen settings?" or some such thing, and I seem to recall saying "Yes".

Anyway, I can't find a setting in IE to re-set the monitor - or should I be doing this through Control Panel? (and if so, how can I make sure I don't screw up the settings for other applications?).

The problem I am experiencing definitely didn't occur prior to the upgrade to IE7, and has been present when browsing ever since.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

Neil

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Screen sharpness (IE7)

Click the Tools button on the toolbar (or the Tools menu if you display the menu bar).
    Select Internet Options...
    Activate the Advanced tab.
    Scroll down to the Multimedia section.
    Clear the check box "Always use ClearType for HTML".
    Click OK.

Thanks

Neil,

You can also right click anywhere on your desktop blank area. Click properties> settings and you can review color and screen resolution setttings. Then click on advanced to see more details on video card and monitor settings.
    You can always make changes there and if not happy with them, just go back and reset them.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both - and you in particular, Hans, as you fixed my problem straightaway - just like you always do!

Anyway, one curiosity remains.

If ClearType is some screen resolution enhancement (presumably, in view of the name) then how come for me it made things so much worse?

Cheers

Neil

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

ClearType is mainly intended for LCD monitors. But whether you like it or not is very much a matter of personal preference.
    On an LCD monitor, the pixels are more sharply delineated than on a CRT monitor. This makes text slightly anemic, and in slanted and curved lines, the "stair step" effect is more noticeable. ClearType tries to remedy this by interposing more lightly colored pixels - see enlarged screenshot below. The result is that characters become smoother, but also fuzzier. Some people prefer the smoothness, others object to the fuzziness. So you must decide for yourself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg x.JPG (20.3 KB, 0 views)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

By the way, if you'd still like to try it, Microsoft has a *free* ClearType tuner, it lets you fine-tune the way characters are smoothed. It's available for download from Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP, or you can run it online from ClearType Tuner.