4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

partitions (XP sp2)

I want to install and use the Shared Computer Toolkit on some PCs in a lab. This has coincided with complete rebuilds of these machines using the recovery disks supplied by the manufacturer. I was able to create the 10% partitiion that was required.

So far, so good.

But, in XP Disk management, the partition is described as 'healthy' but I need it to be unallocated.

So before I go any further, I wanted some advice about how to do this.

Do I need to go through the XP installation again - to the point of creating the partitions and then delete the 'healthy' drive? Or can I delete the logical drive using Disk Manager, or do I format the drive, again using the Disk manager? Or some other option that I have not thought of?

I have never had to play around with this area before and would like to get it right first time!!

Thanks

added: This is no longer urgent and I will continue to do some research as time permits. I am about to go on leave for 10 days. I had hoped that I could get an answer, but now I am not going to care for a while. See ya

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: partitions (XP sp2)

I don't use Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP so I went to the web site and was starting to watch the demo video on installation. It seems you're going to have to have a 3rd party partitioning program. The video recommends a couple, such as Partition Magic. I use and recommend Acronis Disk Director Suite.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response, Al.

But can that be right? I can see that I might need a third party application if I need to create the partition on a single partition disk. But in this case, I have already created a second partition. It is just not 'unallocated'.

Is there an easy way to make the partition 'unallocated' instead of 'healthy'?

Sounds simple.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You should be able to just delete the healthy partition in Disk Management, have you tried right-clicking the partition and choosing Delete Partition? Tthis should return the space to Unallocated.

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart,

After a week off work, I have returned and tried your suggestion.

And you were right. Right clicking and choosing Delete Partition worked a treat.

So now I also have the shared computer toolkit up and going as well.

Bring on the new academic year and let's see what they can do this time!!