2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SBS 2003 R2 - Firewall excesses

Not sure if this is the right forum, but anyway - here goes!

We have recently installed a new server running SBS 2003 R2, and at the same time activated the Firewall which comes with ISA Server 2004. All web traffic now passes through the firewall.

Previously we were running the gauntlet and bypassing the firewall in certain circumstances, but there seems to be a lot of unexpected results after enabling the wall, whereby it disallows legitimate traffic in a draconian manner which seems difficult to work around.

My most annoying example concerns the Listen Again feature on the (UK-based) BBC website. I used to use this a lot to re-play radio broadcasts which are made available to download, in "Real Player" format, for 1 week following transmission.

This now doesn't work, though the Listen Live feature, which is available in 2 formats (Real Player and Live Windows Media) works - on the LWM version only.

Can anyone suggest any way to get the firewall to allow streaming of the Real Player listen again downloads?

Thanks

Neil

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks

Re: SBS 2003 R2 - Firewall excesses

Have you made sure the ports that Real uses are allowed through the firewall? When you say "This now doesn't work' do you mean that you can not download the file or that the file will not play after being downloaded?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe

I'm not sure how to make sure that the ports Real uses are allowed through the firewall, though I'm certain that tweaking the rules on the firewall is what I need to do.

My IT manager tried to fix this by attempting to find the IP address from which the data was being sent (presumbly to then "allow" this address). But he couldn't isolate the address, and I don't know if he was on the right track with this approach.

As for downloading files, I'm pretty sure that the "Listen Again" feature streams data, so you don't actually download the whole file and then attempt to play it. (if that makes sense).

When I try to listen to a programme, it goes through the routine of attempting to connect, before dispalying a dialogue box (headed Real Player) stating "A general error has occurred", giving the address of the file I am trying to access - eg

rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio4/arts/bookclub/bookclub.ra

and saying that there is more information available on the RealNetworks Customer Support website.

When I click on More Info, the message in the dialogue box changes to Unable to connect to Technical Support for more information.

Any more ideas, anyone?

Neil

Administrator
    Thanks

I don't have Real installed here but you should be able to open it and check its options/preferences to find the ports it is using. Then you/the IT guy would have to configure ISA to allow those ports through the firewall. See this Google Groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs thread as it has steps to enable Real Player with SBS 2003.

Joe