Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Mail attachment question

Having observed that a piece of software was sending an (almost) identical email, each with the same 4 MB attachment, to each of 40 separately-addressed people, it occurred to me that it would be a better method to send a single email with 40 email addresses on the Bcc: list.

But at what point does this single email (with its 4 MB attachment) 'fan out' to the addressees? Is at as close as our ISP's mail server?

So is the only advantage of the 'single email' method to reduce the amount of data going up the line to our ISP's mail servers?

Thanks!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Re: Mail attachment question

Whichever mail server functions as the relay is responsible for generating the communications to each recipient's mail server. Your internal mail server might be configured to do this, or your internal mail server might be configured to pass the message up the chain to your ISP's mail server to do it.

Thanks

There is a technical expression for this which I have been racking my brain to come up with, so far without success.

What I have noticed with our mail server (MDaemon) is this:
    If the same email is being sent to multiple addresses (i.e. recipients at different domains), a separate message is created locally for each recipient and sent to our ISP.
    If the same message is being sent to multiple recipients at the same domain (i.e. john@company.com, jack@company.com) a single email is created and a 'routing' slip listing each recipient is sent with this single email. (It's the terminology of this 'routing' that I can't recall.)

If this single email and list of recipients is cracked at our ISP, or at the receiving domain, I can't tell you, but I think this is the method employed by list-servers. You may glean more understanding in this article but I am unsure if this is specific to MDaemon.

Thanks

It looks as though the general mechanism is to contact the destination server and issue multiple RCPT TO commands, one for each addressee:

MAIL FROM:<sender@mydomain.com>
    RCPT TO:<webmaster@destinationdomain.com>
    RCPT TO:<mixmaster@destinationdomain.com>
    RCPT TO:<kungfumaster@destinationdomain.com>

The message body then only needs to be sent to that destination mail server once. Which makes a lot of sense from the efficiency perspective.