Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Chart in report (2000)

A good starting point is the Chart Wizard that is one of the options in the New Report dialog.

(Actually it is better to use the New Form dialog first, then when you are happy with it, use Save As to turn it into a report.)
    Regards
    John

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chart in report (2000)

Hi,

One of reports in my DB need to have chart. I am using Insert Chart Wizard to create chart in report but it only allow me to select up to 6 fields in my chart, but I have more 6 fiels. So what's the best way to create chart in the report. I did search whole forums and I didn't find any sample db. Please advice.

Thanks

Regards

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the information. But my issue is I have more than 6 fields need to be put in chart. Also I have report by group data, I would like insert chart in first pager then group data in second page. For some reason, chart only shows sum of data instead shows group data.

Please advice.

Regards

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you changed your post? or did I just not read it properly?

If you want both a chart and a table of data you need a main report with (probably)two subreports. One for the chart, the other for the data.

What sort of chart do you want to make? Will the number of fields you want be intelligible? Two many fields can be very confusing.

Can you export the data to Excel then graph it there? I suggest this as a way of trying out options to see what works well.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can create the chart by using the chart wizard. When it's finished, you can edit the chart's Row Source to add more fields, and in fact you can change the Row Source any way you want.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for all your help, guys. I will try it out as you suggested.

Hans, do you think you have some sample db regarding charts in the report? That will be really helpful to me.

Thanks

Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See Microsoft Access 97 Sample Graphs Available in Download Center (although it is in Access 97 format, it applies to later versions too).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans.

I did look at the sample graphs from Microsoft. But I have a problem when I build my chart report by using Chart wizard. After I change teh row source of the chart, I am able to view the chart by print preview. However, as I open the datasheet still shows like "East, West, North in Qtr." I tried to delete it and put my data in. It doesn't work. The desige report and preview report are total different. Please see the attached DB. Please advice.

Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That is normal behavior, it is nothing to worry about. Sometimes, the chart shows the actual data in design view, but that is unpredicatable. The important thing is that the chart shows the correct data when you preview or print the report.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. Another question, how can I adjust the distance between two columns? Curret there's a speck between two columsn and I would like decrease the space. Also do you know why the first column (Q1) is missing from the chart?

Thanks

Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Open the report in design view.
    Double click the chart.
    Double click a series.
    Activate the Options tab.
    Decrease the Gap Width value.
    Click OK.
    Click outside the chart.

The first column in the row source is used to specify the series name. Since you don't need it here, you can insert Null or a dummy value: set the Row Source to

SELECT Null, * FROM Test

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much, Hans. It gives me what I want.

But I have another question and I hope this will be last question regarding chart in the report. I have a report that sort by unit and there's table in each unit of the report. I would like to insert chart before the table in each unit. For example, Unit A: Chart A (Only shows Unit A's data) then Table A, Unit B" Chart B (only Show's Unit B's data) then Table B. I have no idea how to combine the chart with table within sort order and please see attached db. Please advice.

Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Add the chart to the Detail section and set the Link Master Fields and Link Child Fields property to Units.
    Note that I simply used Test2 as Row Source for the chart control in the attached version.
    I removed the group header.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much, Hans. It helps me a lot.

Thanks

Regards