3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multi user environment (2003)

I am seeking advice on how best to proceed with introducing a new order database and processing system. My original plan was to use Access as the system platform. In the main I had worked out how to code the Access based system so as to interface with the pre-existing web based requisition system by using Excel as a medium to import data from that requisition system, and then manipulate the data within Access. However the system requirements have now expanded so that I need to revisit the original assumptions made. Given that the new requirement is that

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multi user environment (2003)

In my experience, Access still works well with 10 concurrent users of which 5 do data entry and 5 mostly view data. Moreover, the amount of data entry you mention is not excessive. It would be different if you had 15 or 20 users entering or editing data simultaneously.

For best performance, the database should be split into a backend containing tables only, and a frontend containing the queries, forms and reports, with links to the tables in the backend. Each user should have an individual copy of the frontend.

If you decide to use SQL Server anyway, you'd probably still use Access as frontend, since SQL Server doesn't have a user-friendly interface. In fact, Access has an upsize wizard that will migrate the data to SQL Server for you. The users would keep their Access frontends, only the tables would be linked to SQL Server instead of to the Access backend database.

You can use DAO to connect to a SQL Server database in Excel as well - if you look up the help for OpenDatabase and click on Example, you'll see how that is done.

See How to Migrate from Access to SQL Server 2000.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multi user environment (2003)

Hans

Thanks - This is very encouraging

I will proceed with the creating the system in Access

We will probably need to correspond further as events progress

Alex