Lounger
    Thanks

Excel graphs (Office Basic 2003)

It's a small thing but very annoying. I find that whenever I create a graph in Excel, the label on the upright axis tends to cut off the last letter or letters. For instance if the label is 'Million tonnes CO2', part of the CO2 is not visible. I have tried changing fonts and font sizes, usually to no avail. And even when I shorten or abbreviate the label (eg 'Mn tns CO2') I find the CO2 might still be chopped off. Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel graphs (Office Basic 2003)

This problem is mentioned very frequently in the Excel newsgroups. It occurs on some PCs, not on others. There doesn't appear to be a satisfactory explanation or solution.

One thing to check is that the text orientation (in the Alignment tab of the Format Axis dialog) is set to -90, 0 or 90 degrees. These orientations allow text wrapping.

A clunky workaround suggested in the newsgroups is to add some spaces followed by a period to the text for the axis labels:
    <pre>Million tonnes CO2 .
    </pre>

The period will be truncated. The disadvantage of this workaround that the period will be visible on PCs that don't have the problem.

Thanks

I presume that the period is so that Excel will not trim the spaces (as it does in some cases).

A "Sticky space" (<alt>0160) is still "clunky" but would not have the period on PCs without the problem.

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't actually tried it (the problem doesn't occur on my home PC or my work PC), but using Alt+160 looks like a good idea.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Steve,
    That's a great little suggestion. I had not come across that before.

Paul