New Lounger
    Thanks

Fixed frames (Word 2003)

Dear Collegues
    I suspect my question has been asked and answered before but here goes.

I want to create a form which can be emailed to people with a view to having them fill in details. The requirement is that they cannot alter the form and that the text boxes remain fixed with respect their size. In other words not expanding to accomodate more text that we require.

I would be grateful if the forum can advise how this can be achieved, or whether in fact MS Word is the correct package for this application.

Regards

Les W

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Fixed frames (Word 2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

The most convenient way to create a form in Word is to place form fields from the Forms toolbar in the document and to protect the document for forms. You can specify a maximum number of characters to be entered in a form field. The form fields will still expand to accomodate the text; to get around this, you can place the form fields in cells in a table with rows of fixed height.

See the attached very simple demo. If you want to modify it, display the Forms toolbar and click the "lock" button to unprotect the document.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    Many thanks for the feedback and there looks to be scope to do what I want within the Forms functionality. I am going to have a play now and I may be back.

If not, thanks again

Les W

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans
    With your help my knowledge has been significantly enhansed such that have only one further question between me and my completed form.

I have figured how to restrict the form boxes such that they don't expand greater than a definded hieght. This stops the form 'expanding' as users click on <CR>
    However how do I restrict the width of a form box. Currently it just keeps on widening as I keep on typing until it reaches the full width of the page.

What would be great would be if you can define a width and have the text wrap around when it reaches the end of the line.

All suggestions welcome.

Les W

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The best way is to place the text form field in a table cell of the desired width, and to specify that the table shouldn't autofit. To set this, either select Table | Table Properties and click Options in the Table tab, or select Table | AutoFit | Fixed column width.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Great, thanks again