Michael C

Notification of Changes

I have a shared workbook that a number of users are editing, because of the nature of the data it is important that the department concerned are aware when changes are made to the data.

Could someone suggest a simple way of notifying them when a change is saved to the file ?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Notification of Changes

The only thing I can think of is to write a little macro to write to a log file every time the workbook is saved.

For example:
    Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)
    Open ThisWorkbook.Path & "log.txt" For Append As #1
    Print #1, ThisWorkbook.Name & " was saved by " & Application.UserName & " at " & Format(Now(), "dd/mm/yyyy hh:MM")
    Close 1
    End Sub

This file will then need to be checked by the department.

I've assumed you are comfortable with Excel macros, so if you're not, let us know.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Or even program in the "file, send to" command to send the worksheet out.

Perhaps overkill- another thought might be to have the date last updated put directly into an HTML page by the macro.

John, nice to see you replying to old posts that we've bypassed- thanks for that.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Michael C

Many thanks for the suggestions. I was in the process of writing a macro to use the send to function , when the department decided that they will just check the file every hour instead ! Once again thanks for the responses.