New Lounger
    Thanks

Making a toolbar permanent (2002)

Every time I open Word I have to tell it that I want to view the Outlining toolbar. How do I make that change permanent so that the toolbar is always visible when I start Word?

Thanks

Re: Making a toolbar permanent (2002)

Word usually starts up with a blank document, generated from the Normal.dot template. If you open Normal.dot for editing, change the view to Outline, display the toolbar, make a change (e.g., type a space and delete it) and save, then the next time Word starts, it should start in Outline view and display the toolbar. (I say "should" because I haven't tested my theory!)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is less easy than you'd think. The Outlining toolbar is context-sensitive, i.e. it is automatically displayed when you switch to outline view, and hidden when you switch out of it. Even if I put a macro in my Normal.dot template to display the Outlining toolbar when Word starts up, it doesn't work.
    You can do the following:
    - Switch to Outline view.
    - Select Tools | Customize...
    - Activate the Toolbars tab.
    - Click New...
    - Type My Outline (or something similar) in the Toolbar Name box.
    - Make sure that the dropdown list belows it shows Normal.dot.
    - Click OK.
    - Copy the controls from the Outlining toolbar to your custom toolbar by dragging and dropping them one by one with the Ctrl key held down.
    - Note: if you cannot drag controls from the Outlining toolbar, activate the Commands tab and drag the appropriate buttons from the View category and from All Comnmands to your toolbar.
    - Click Close.
    - Drag the custom toolbar to a convenient position.
    - Quit and restart Word.
    You now have your own Outlining toolbar.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Does anybody know if Microsoft has added better control over toolbars to a later version of Word?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

For most toolbars, you don't need to do anything at all - Word will remember which ones were visible the last time you used it.
    The Outlining toolbar is a special case since it is context sensitive.

Word 2003 behaves the same as Word 2002. In Word 2007, the whole concept of menus and toolbars has been overhauled and replaced by the "ribbon". I don't know how this behaves with respect to your question. (See The new Microsoft Office user interface overview for info about and screenshots of the ribbon)