5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network problem (Sp2 Home & Pro)

I have a 4 computer network with the following PCs:
    Howard - XP Pro
    Carol - XP Home
    Notebook - XP Home
    New Laptop - Media Center
    All PCs have the lastest updates. All are runnibg NTFS.

Howard can read and write files on Carol and Notebook.
    Notebook CANNOT read or write files on Carol. Notebook can read and write files on Howard.
    New Laptop is going to replace Notebook. It CANNOT read or write files on Carol.
    In short, one XP Home (Carol) can access everyone else, but the other XP Home (Notebook) cannot access Carol.
    This situation has existed for three years. When Carol needs files from Notebook she initiates the file transfer. When Notebook needs file from Carol, Carol initiates the transfer. Now that I'm replacing Notebook I figure it's time to fix this.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Network problem (Sp2 Home & Pro)

Start with Troubleshooting file shares on a home network. Don't be put off by the title. It is for all home networking.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Howard, I dont know if this will help or not. I have a 5 computer network at home which consists of 2 PC's and 3 laptops. The network uses a Linksys WRT45G router, and I also have Vonage. The PC's are of course hardwired to the network and are running WinXPH (SP-2). The three laptops are all wireless, 2 of which are running Win XPP (SP2) and 1 with Win XPH(SP-2). I regularly change my key on the network for security purposes, and with out fail when I do this I always have had trouble getting the laptop with XPH back on the network. The laptop with XPH is slightly older (4 years). So what I have gotten into the habit of doing is setting it up on the network first, after the PC's and then test them one at a time. Then the other two. I also use Linksys's configurator if I have any problems. In other words Oldest computer first. Since I started doing that I have never had a probem, nor have I had any problem with IP conflicts.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately my case is different. All computers are hard wired to my Verizon router, so there are no wireless connections. I am going to repost this on the forum that Joe suggested above.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the pointer, Joe. I have reposted on StuartR's forum.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think his intention was for you to post there! He was suggesting you should read and follow the tips in that post. I'm going over there and remove your post. Please read Stuat's tutorial.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've done most of the tests he suggests and hit a stone wall. He says to post the error msgs on his forum. I did that. Why are you removing my post?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A little terminology may clear things up:
    A message by me, you or another Lounger is a post.
    A string of posts is called a thread.
    Threads are organized in forums about a common subject.
    Together, these forums form Woody's Lounge.

This thread you're reading now was started by you in the Networking your Home forum. The thread by StuartR that JoePerez referred to is in the same forum. That thread is not a forum by itself. Since you have started this thread, it's best to post all follow-ups in this same thread. That makes it easier for others to keep track of how it is progressing.

You wrote that you hit a stone wall. It might be helpful if you described which steps from StuartR's post you have tried and what the outcome was. Hopefully, that will make it possible for others to come up with a suggestion.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK., OK, I get it. I still think Big Al's action was a bit high handed, to say the least. My erroneous post to StuartR was in the wrong place, but before Al removed it he should have read it, noted that I had provided more info than in my original post, listed things that I had done and specific error msgs that ensued. It would have been more user-friendly if he had suggested that I repost it in the original thread instead of deleting it. Now I have to re-create it.
    Woody's Lounge is a friendly and extremely helpful group of forums that I have used for many years. People occassionally make mistakes. They should not be punished for them.
    Hans, your last paragraph set the appropriate tone that I would expect other moderators and administrators to follow. Thank you.
    One final question. Should I start a new thread or continue with the old one? If I continue, should I reply to my own post with the new info?
    Howard

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"One final question. Should I start a new thread or continue with the old one?"
    New thread NO
    Continue here which is your original thread.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, here is the modified info.
    Carol can access shares on everyone else's computer. All the others can access shares on each other, except for shares on Carol. No accounts use a password.
    All PCs are hard wired to my Verizon Router (wireless is disabled on Notebook and Laptop). The Guest account is not enabled on any PC. The Windows firewall is disabled on Carol. All can access the Internet, ping the router and each other successfully. When I try to access the Test share on Carol (from any PC) I get the error msg:
    "Caroltest is not accessible ..." followed by "Not enough server storage is available to process this command."
    I enabled Guest on Carol. Same result. I looked in the MS KB for "Not enough server storage.." and found this suggestion for a registry tweak:
    "HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetServiceslanmanserverpa rameters. The D-Word IRPStackSize default value is 15. If it is less than 15, increase by 3 and reboot." Carol's is 11. Notebook is 11. Both are XP Home.
    Before I modify the Registry I would like some more info on this, especially since Notebook is OK.
    I would also like some guidance on how to narrow my search.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I presume that the article you refer to is <!mskb=177078>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 177078<!/mskb>

The key thing to do is to look in the Event viewer for the specific event that is shown in that article, if you have either those then increasing IRPStackSize will probably fix the problem.

I think you should try increasing the value of IRPStackSize anyway, if it doesn't resolve the issue you can always set it back to the original value again.

The difference with other PCs having the same value isn't a big deal, unless they have identical hardware and software configurations. If every PC needed the same size IRP Stack then Microsoft wouldn't have needed to provide the registry setting!

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Stuart. I checked Event Viewer and found the exact msg mentioned in the KB. I backed up the registry, increased IRPStacksize to 14 and rebooted. Voila! It worked. Thanks to all for their input.
    BTW, what does IRPStacksize do for a living?
    Howard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> BTW, what does IRPStacksize do for a living?

A stack is an area of memory used for temporary storage.

There are a number of stacks, used at different times.
    User stacks are quite large and keep information about the currently running program, and local variables etc.
    IRP stands for Interrupt Request Processing. When there is an interrupt, for example because an I/O completes, the device driver needs somewhere to store it's temporary data. It can't use your user stack because this would corrupt the data used by the temporarily interrupted program. so Windows switches to the IRPStack. If this stack fills up then Windows really can't continue processing, so you get this error.

StuartR

Thanks

Do you have Norton Anti-Virus on that machine? It is known to change the IRPStackSize value. (the default for XP should be 15 not 11 as you have seen; the maximum is 50 and minimum is 11) The value "specifies how many stack locations the Server service establishes for I/O Request Packets (IRPs)." according to MS. Presumably with the number you had your machine was fine dealing with its own requests (possibly has a better internal queueing system) but incapable of dealing with any external ones.
    FWIW.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast