3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Save As Window over ride? (XP Home)

Here's what I think might be an unusual request.

I have a technical program in which I create several different types of files. Each project requires 2 or 3 of these different file types to be generated. Each one is created individually with its own file extension: .pen, .tap and .cnc.

After creating these 2 or 3 files I need to copy them into a specific folder where they can be accessed by others. Right now I have a couple less then ideal options to accomplish this COPY, PASTE task.

First, I can open the program SAVE AS window in the program and highlight ONE of the files. Then I open a Wndows Explorer window and PASTE it into the appropriate folder. I have to repeat this process for each of the 2 or 3 files.

Second, I can jump up one level and copy the entire folder from the program SAVE AS window. Then I open Windows Explorer and paste the entire folder. Then I have to open the pasted folder and delete all unneeded files as I only want the 2 or 3 specificly stated files in that folder. This is the method I'm currently using most of the time.

Third, I can open Windows Explorer and find the 2 or 3 files and COPY/PASTE them to where they belong.

This is all complicated by a fairly deep directory tree with the folders being buried pretty far down in the structure.

So, the question is whether or not there is a way to select more then one file in the program SAVE AS window for the COPY operation. Obviously I've tried holding the CTRL key for a multiple pick but since Windows only wants one file name inserted into the FILE NAME slot it only allows one file to be selected. I was hoping maybe there was something in the Registry or elsewhere that could be tweaked to accomplish this.

I know this can be done to some extent since AutoCAD allows you to select multiple files for opening in the FILE, OPEN window.

Thanks!
    BH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Save As Window over ride? (XP Home)

In applications that allow you to open multiple files at once, such as Word or Excel, you can select multiple files in the File | Open dialog; in others you can select only one file at a time.
    In the File | Save As dialog, selecting multiple files makes no sense, since you cannot save the current document as multiple files at once. So the ability to select multiple files is never enabled in a Save As dialog.

You can right-click a folder in the Save As dialog and select Open or Explore from the popup menu. This will open the folder in a This Computer or Windows Explorer type window. You can select and copy multiple files there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Save As Window over ride? (XP Home)

HansV,

Thanks, that's another option I hadn't thought of using. It is not absolutely ideal, but better then the current method.

Thanks!
    BH