3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Auto Recal Reminder (Excel 2003)

In the past all excel machines were set to have calculation set to automatic. Now that has changed, Excel now opens with calculation set to manual. This is essential since we now have many workbooks that contain special 'links' to data housed in a financial database. Having Excel set to manual is a good thing when dealing with these workbooks.

But many times users open excel and then open workbooks without the special links then begin work and of course fail to realize they must change Excel back to automatic recalculation. Excel does help by putting on the status bar ' calculation' to warn everyone. This helps but does not solve the entire problem.

Can anyone suggest a good way to remind someone that calculation is set to manual.

I though perhaps having a message box appear when a workbook opens asking if they want manual or automatic then based on the response reset Excel.

Anohter thought was some type macro either on the toolbar or a floating shape that changed colors so when Excel is set to manual it would be red and when Excel is set to automatic it would be green.

Before going ahead can anyone recommend a better solution. Especially one that could avoid using VBA.

Any assistance would be most welcomed.

Regards,

Tom Duthie

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Auto Recal Reminder (Excel 2003)

Manual recalculation is not the installation default for Excel 2003. Did your corporate IT set it up that way, or do you have a default company template in user startup which has calculation set to manual?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not 100 % sure, but I believe its some type of template.

Regards,

Tom Duthie

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

What happens if the template is not loaded, or its option settings are set to automatic recalculation?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS