2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple Refs to a single footnote (2003 - SP2)

I have a document where I am using footnotes and I have several references on one page to the same footnote, i.e. footnote number 1. However Word insists on incrementing the superscripted footnote number in the body text and also copies the actual footnote text in the footnote area for each subsequent footnote.
    I have tried without success to change all of the superscripted footnote numbers to 1. I have tried various combinations and permutations of the options on the footnote window that comes up when you select Insert/Reference/Footnote. I have tried inserting a Cross-Reference (Insert/Reference/Cross-Reference), also without success. Though on this latter point I don't really understand what the cross reference feature is or how it works. I do know it doesn't fix my footnote problem even though it has a reference to footnotes in its window.
    Anyone with experience with this? I know that multiple references to a single footnote is not uncommon so I have trouble believing it can't be done in Word.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple Refs to a single footnote (2003 - SP2)

You can do this with Insert > Reference > Cross Reference, see the attached picture of the dialog box.

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (10.7 KB, 0 views)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple Refs to a single footnote (2003 - SP2)

Thanks, that worked. I had looked at Cross-References but couldn't get it to work. Not sure why, but it works now.