3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Search folder (03 SP2)

I am trying to create a search folder that will contain all messages to and from correspondents in the Czech Republic. All of the these messages come from or go to domains that contain the charachters ".cz". For example Vaclav@ckrumlov.cz. I set up the search criteria as follows. Under the advanced tab "From contains cz" and "To contains cz". This resulted in no items being found. So I thought maybe these conditions are both applying and since there are no messages that contain "cz" in both the To and From fields I was getting a null set.
    So I changed it so that it is only "From contains cz". I still get "There are no items to show in this view."
    Please tell me how to set up this search folder.

Thanks

Re: Search folder (03 SP2)

The "From" field appears to be limited to the display name. In most cases, this does not include the address.

Perhaps as an alternative you can use a rule to tag those messages. Rules can examine the message headers, add a category, assign colored flags, etc.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Try setting up a rule looking for specific words in the sender's address or specific words in the recipient's address and then moving the message to a specific folder.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That is what I have been doing. But the whole point of this is to reduce the number of actual folders I have. It has become a problem. I go looking for a message because of one criteria but I discover that I have filed it based on another criteria. This is a problem for me with paper files as well as computer files. For example I go looking for a file from a particular vendor and discover that I filed it by the client name, or the commodity.
    Search folders allow me to "virtually file" messages in more than one folder simultaneously. While leaving the actual messages in a single folder.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe a combination of those ideas and some VBA? In the ThisOutlookSession Module in the Outlook VBE, add this code:

Option Explicit

Public WithEvents itmsNewMsgs As Outlook.Items

Private Sub Application_Startup()
    Set itmsNewMsgs = Outlook.Session.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).It ems
    End Sub

Private Sub itmsNewMsgs_ItemAdd(ByVal Item As Object)
    If Item.Class = olMail Then
    With Item
    If Right(.SenderEmailAddress, 3) = ".cz" Then _
    .Categories = "From .cz"
    .Save
    End With
    End If
    End Sub

Then you can set a search Folder for the Category "From .cz". (Note - Outlook has to be closed and restarted to execute the Application Startup line.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Why don't you install Windows Desktop Search, the Windows Live Toolbar, and the Windows Live Toolbar for Outlook? You can perform fast searches and save searches.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Try doing a search this way: TO contains @cz, and FROM contains @cz for example TO contains @sisna.com
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)