3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WinXP keeps asking to install hardware (Winxp sp2)

I used Acronis universal restore, a hard disc imaging program, to move my WinXP system to a new computer. It worked, and works, fine except that every time I reboot Windows asks to reinstall the drivers for my Marvell RAID 614x motherboard raid controller. But the driver is already installed. Any way to stop this message coming up by editing the registry or something similar?

Thanks

Re: WinXP keeps asking to install hardware (Winxp sp2)

Why not just reinstall the drivers it asks for?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's just it: I do re-install the driver, every single time the computer reboots. Once should be enough. Windows device manager does not recognise the Raid controller, it just calls it a PCI device. But, inconsistently, device manager also says the device is working properly and has the correct drivers installed. Weird.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

You could try a repair install. You should get to specify the raid driver during the process.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WinXP keeps asking to install hardware (Winxp

What do you see in the Device Manager, have you looked for any "ghost" devices? I know I have mentioned <!post=the possibility to look for hidden devices, 475091>the possibility to look for hidden devices<!/post> some times here, but it is a quick check one can do when having problems with devices and drivers and it can sometimes help to remove double or old entries.

The common advice, as you know, is many times; remove the device from the DM and then follow the recommendation for driver install in that case; let windows install whatever driver it has (USB etc.), let the OS hardware wizard start and then select your driver (most devices), or close the wizard and run the dedicated install program (graphic drivers, printers etc.).

I don't know anything about the imaging program you have used, or differences between old and new PC, but with major differences in hardware one can expect Windows to have problem. If you can't find anything odd in DM, showing non present, then maybe a repair install is your option.

When I finished my latest PC build I found 5 devices with no drivers in DM, and as you know they are more or less identified and described; ethernet-controller, graphic-controller, these are easy; interrupt-controller (or something like that, have to translate), that was the IDE/SATA-controller. Then I had two "PCI Device" and one unknown. The unknown was a special ACPI-driver, and I only had to put the CD in to get that one installed. The two left (PCI) was sound and Marvell SATA 6121.

I don't know if you know that one can look at the Details tab, in properties for a device. (I think the tab was added with SP2, earlier one had to use a variable to set DM to show details). I think I have seen some search pages on the net where you can use the detail information to identify a device, can't find any good now. Since they are not complete and users submits info. they can be wrong.

Anyhow the "Device Instance ID" or part of it can be used in common net search. In my case at the time, with only two "PCI device" left and one with an ID PCIVEN_11AB DEV_6121 it was quite easy to guess that it must be the Marvell 88SE6121 chipset, even without a search, and the other left must be the sound.

Here is a device list for Marvell (Vendor 11AB): http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=957, but for instance my 6121 isn't there. As I said, there may be other lists, or one can try a search for vendor ID and Device ID (11AB, 6121, in my case).