Lounger
    Thanks

Can't print from XPPro to XPHome device ovr ntwk (XP Pro SP2 & XP Home SP2)

I have installed and configured two laptops:

My old one is an Acer Aspire 2001 on which I have re-imaged the original XP Home OS and updated to SP2 and applied all further updates. I have configured this device with a single user account "Owner" (Administrator) and pointed it's "My Documents" directory to the "Shared Documents" directory and made this available over a wireless home network.

My new laptop is an IBM Thinkpad T60 with XP Pro and all the updates including SP2 applied. I have configured this device with a username and password connected to my office AD domain. When I try to view folders on the Acer it prompts me for a username and password which I used "owner" with no password.

This was ok but then I had all types of security issues trying to re-access files i'd previously saved so I created a new account on the acer aspire with the exact same username and password I was using on the T60 except it wasn't connected to the domain. This username and password failed to authenticate because the Acer wasn't connected to the domain but I got around this by using the following as the username: acer-aspireusername.

I have since installed a printer on the acer and made it available to the network using the sharing features and I can now see the printer. I can log in locally to the acer and print documents to the printer however, when I installed the printer share on the T60 it prompted me for a username and password to connect to which I used acer-aspireusername & password. The printer installed successfully on the T60.

The problem that I have is that I cannot print to this printer from the T60. The Printer on the local acer shows that there is a document in the spooler but it just wont print and the printer online button flashes to indicate an error.

Here is what I have identified:

1. When I connect and print locally, the printer prints the document as the user "Owner"
    2. When I originally attached the printer share remotely, I atached it as "acer-aspireusername"
    3. When I print from the remote t60 the printer spools it locally on the acer-aspire as user "Guest"

Is there print sharing issues between XP Pro & XP Home?
    Would the fact that the printer tries to print as Guest be an issue? (I haven't manually configured the guest account - what it it's default status on XP Home install?)
    Could this be an issue if the Guest account is not active?

Any info or guidance would be helpful

Thanks
    Shannon

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't print from XPPro to XPHome device ovr ntwk (XP Pro SP2 & XP Home

I have moved this post to the "Networking your Home" forum because that is where we deal with problems like this.

Can you have a look at the steps in <post:=589,883>post 589,883</post:> under the heading User accounts. Follow the instructions there and let us know if it fixes your problem.

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Points to consider

"Shared Documents" is for LOCAL sharing only, has nothing to do with networking. This network has 3 desktops and 2 laptops. Two of the desktops are running Home and one is Pro. The laptops are running Home with one dual booting to Vista Premium.

I think your laptop thinks it is on a "Domain" when it is on a "Workgroup" network. When using a machine on BOTH types one is going to have all kinds of issue. There is software out there that will help in making these connections, but I have not found the links. This software has been discussed here in this forum many times.

Here on our "Workgroup" network, we share the "Drives" and printers. This allows one to access the full drive, and we also have added the check to allow changes to the files. This will allow an "Admin" user access any of the "My Documents" of any user.

<hr>
    Is there print sharing issues between XP Pro & XP Home? <font color=red>NO, unless the firewall is blocking it</font color=red>
    Would the fact that the printer tries to print as Guest be an issue? <font color=red> Guest account is turned OFF on our machines, if the Guest account is turned on, on one of the machines then, yes it may be a issue.</font color=red>
    (I haven't manually configured the guest account - what it it's default status on XP Home install?)
    Could this be an issue if the Guest account is not active? <font color=red>No, see above</font color=red>
    <hr>

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

To the best of my knowledge, XP Home use the Guest account for all networking, even if you have disabled it (you cannot, in fact, fully disable it, AFAIK.). If you have disabled it, that may prevent it from printing, however, in which case Stuart's post should solve your problem.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Rory,
    All of my machines have the Guest account turned off, even my Vista machine. I have been using a "Workgroup" network since Windows 98 and the Guest account has never been turned on.
    The Guest account needs to be used on some "Domain" types of networks, this will allow other users to access the shared devices without having access to the harddrives.

Turning off the Guest account in the Control Panel, User accounts, just turns it off, so it can not be used to login to the computer. This will NOT disable the use of this account by the system
    See Description of the Guest account in Windows XP

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

My home network works fine and has done for a long time - I had a few hiccups initiially setting up the XP Home machine with permissions etc but I have since sorted them out. The problem I have is with the printer. I guess you have answered all my questions anyway - there really should be no restrictions which makes me think it is either related to the Printer itself, the printer driver/software or potentially my user naming convention.

This information I can work with - I just didn't want to spend the next 4 hours trying to resolve an unresolvable problem.